[comp.sys.next] NeXT Mail - Domain appending twice

troch@pilot.njin.net (Rod Troch) (04/25/91)

I recall seeing this problem described earlier.  It is the problem in
which the NeXT Mail is appending the domain to a complete header.  The
result is something like this: troch@bart.kean.edu.kean.edu

Have any of the other people on the net who had this problem get it
resolved?

I have created /etc/resolv.conf with the following info:
domain kean.edu
nameserver 'the appropriate address'

Is there some other file that needs to be modified?

When I send mail in a shell window with the 'mail' program the header
is created normally. ie. No duplicate domains.
But when I use the NeXT Mail package and send mail the header ends up
with the double domain.

I would really appreciate as much input as possible on this.
I will summarize and repost the responses I (hopefully) receive. :-)

Thanks,
Peace,
Rod

FYI: I attempted to find the old discussion about this but my usenet
site had already deleted the string. :-(
--
-----------
If you yell try : Rod Troch

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (04/26/91)

In article <Apr.24.14.35.04.1991.25124@pilot.njin.net>
           troch@pilot.njin.net (Rod Troch) writes:
>I recall seeing this problem described earlier.  It is the problem in
>which the NeXT Mail is appending the domain to a complete header.  The
>result is something like this: troch@bart.kean.edu.kean.edu
>
>Have any of the other people on the net who had this problem get it
>resolved?

I don't know about any earlier discussion on this topic in this newsgroup, but
I did stumble across the same problem.  I'm not doing anything dramatically
weird, so I'm not sure why more people haven't mentioned this.

In my case I assumed it was a problem in the sendmail.cf file, or at least I
fixed the problem by changing the sendmail.cf file.  At the start of the file
are the lines:

#my official hostname
Dj?m $w.$m $| $w $.

if you remove the blanks from the second line, the "From:" lines will come out
right for messages that you send.  That doesn't seem to fix things for messages
you reply to though, for reasons that I don't understand (perhaps something in
the rewriting rules, I haven't read up on sendmail rewriting rules yet).

So I finally commented out the second line altogether and simply replaced it
with the line:

Dj$w

This seems to work all the time.  Note that my machine name (setup in
NetManager) includes my domain name, which is why the rules in sendmail.cf
should never have to add it.  Ie, when I select the "Local..." menu item in
NetManager, the "hostname" field is set to "eclipse.its.rpi.edu", and not just
"eclipse".

This works fine for me.  Your mileage may vary.

-- Garance Alistair Drosehn  = gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu