[comp.sys.next] Adobe Type Manager to NeXT

mark@epsoft.UUCP (Mark Chamberlain) (04/11/91)

I've recently built up a fairly decent ATM library of fonts under
Windows 3. Now these are all Adobe Type 1 fonts - how can I use them
on my NeXT? I have a set of files with pfb and pfm extensions - how
do I build these into .font files?

TIA, Mark
----
Mark Chamberlain, Epsilon Software Limited, London, England
uunet!ukc!epsoft!mark

glang@henry (Gary Lang) (04/16/91)

In article <9104110216.AA19711@epsoft> mark@epsoft.UUCP (Mark Chamberlain)
writes:
> I've recently built up a fairly decent ATM library of fonts under
> Windows 3. Now these are all Adobe Type 1 fonts - how can I use them
> on my NeXT? I have a set of files with pfb and pfm extensions - how
> do I build these into .font files?
>
> TIA, Mark
> ----
> Mark Chamberlain, Epsilon Software Limited, London, England
> uunet!ukc!epsoft!mark

For starters buy a copy form Adobe; it's illegal for you to use them on your
Windows AND NeXT machines. Pay for the software you use please.

That said, I too would likek to know how to do it since I'm retiring my PC now
that I've got a FAX modem and Framemaker for my cube.

-g

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (04/17/91)

   From: glang@henry (Gary Lang)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 15 Apr 91 19:02:39 GMT
   Sender: news@Autodesk.COM
In article <3973@autodesk.COM> glang@henry (Gary Lang) writes:
 I too would likek to know [... etc ...]

your sendmail has munged your email address
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (04/19/91)

glang@henry (Gary Lang) writes:

> In article <9104110216.AA19711@epsoft> mark@epsoft.UUCP (Mark Chamberlain)
> writes:
> > I've recently built up a fairly decent ATM library of fonts under
> > Windows 3. Now these are all Adobe Type 1 fonts - how can I use them
> > on my NeXT? I have a set of files with pfb and pfm extensions - how
> > do I build these into .font files?
> >
> > TIA, Mark
> > ----
> > Mark Chamberlain, Epsilon Software Limited, London, England
> > uunet!ukc!epsoft!mark
>
> For starters buy a copy form Adobe; it's illegal for you to use them on your
> Windows AND NeXT machines. Pay for the software you use please.

Is this, strictly and not-so-strictly true?

I was under the impression that is a bit of a grey area.

Consider this...
If I invest a shitload of money in buying a large collection, or perhaps the
entire, Adobe library of typefaces and store them on a printer's disk.
Should I have to pay AGAIN for these fonts so that I can use them on another
computer that accesses the same printer? I would be paying hundreds of
dollars for a new set of .afm files. hardly seems fair.

What is needed is for Adobe to bang their two heads together and come up
with a fair solution. This is becoming an increasingly common problem, and
as such must be dealt with. I think that a "per printer" license is
probably somewhat fair, and a site license possibly the most fair solution.
Should an entire art department pay to have a new set of fonts on every
machine? Not unless they are going to be REALLY cheap, and noone is going to
see that happen in a hurry.

Anyone else got a reaction?

  asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca         The Chameleon Papers - Vancouver, BC
                   Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy - NeXT user
   Human beings are a great disappointment to me, and it doesn't help one
                       bit that I am one  --SF
                   Fingers Down The Throat Of Love

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/20/91)

This has even broader implications: if I have paid money for, e.g.,
Wordperfect for MS-Dos and later for a Macintosh, whcy shouldn't I be
entitled to Wordperfect on the NeXT and just pay for the media/manual?

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (04/21/91)

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:

> This has even broader implications: if I have paid money for, e.g.,
> Wordperfect for MS-Dos and later for a Macintosh, whcy shouldn't I be
> entitled to Wordperfect on the NeXT and just pay for the media/manual?
>
> Greetings,
> Hardy

There is a legitimate reason for paying for software again. The manufacturer
had toi rewrite the program. in the case of WordPerfect, the overhaul could
not have been more major. If they were being fair, (yeah, right) they would
offer you a deal, seeing as how you bought there product over the
competitors the first time. Besides, they ought to be trying to keep you "in
the fold".

But PostScript fonts are device independent. There is VERY little that
changes when a PostScript font changes platforms. In fact, in it's ascii
form, nothing changes. If Adobe wants to be really know for device
independent solutions to age-old problems, they ought to pioneer the
licensing issues that ensue.

  asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca         The Chameleon Papers - Vancouver, BC
                   Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy - NeXT user
   Human beings are a great disappointment to me, and it doesn't help one
                       bit that I am one  --SF
                   Fingers Down The Throat Of Love

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (04/21/91)

Hardy writes
> This has even broader implications: if I have paid money for, e.g.,
> Wordperfect for MS-Dos and later for a Macintosh, whcy shouldn't I be
> entitled to Wordperfect on the NeXT and just pay for the media/manual?

Why *should* you be entitled to it?  It's an entirely different product.

Just because you have more than one computer doesn't mean that you should
get more than one copy of the software for free.  The only reason
you even consider this a possibility is because you can generate
perfect copies of digital media, so it seems less like a product to many
people.

Even if the files were binary identical, you are not entitled to a free
copy.  They are different products.

I bought a set of five tires for my Jeep Cherokee the other day.  I was
really incensed when the tire dealer didn't give me a free set of tires
for my Chevy; after all, I had already *paid* for the *very same product*
for my Jeep.  All they did was make the same tire in a slightly different
size, and they want me to pay full price for it.  Sheesh :-)

As it is, an enormous amount of software is pirated.  Indignant users
tend to forget the damage that they do to the entire industry (and hence
themselves) by stealing software that they are "entitled to".  Just because
the media cost is so low and copying is so easy doesn't lessen the value
of the product.

The printing industry went through something like this, I believe, when
the photocopier was invented.  It's still not entirely settled, and they
don't even get a copy that's as good as the original.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

aberno@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Anthony Berno) (04/21/91)

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:

> Hardy writes
> > This has even broader implications: if I have paid money for, e.g.,
> > Wordperfect for MS-Dos and later for a Macintosh, whcy shouldn't I be
> > entitled to Wordperfect on the NeXT and just pay for the media/manual?
>
> Why *should* you be entitled to it?  It's an entirely different product.
>
> Just because you have more than one computer doesn't mean that you should
> get more than one copy of the software for free.  The only reason
> you even consider this a possibility is because you can generate
> perfect copies of digital media, so it seems less like a product to many
> people.
>
> Even if the files were binary identical, you are not entitled to a free
> copy.  They are different products.
>
> I bought a set of five tires for my Jeep Cherokee the other day.  I was
> really incensed when the tire dealer didn't give me a free set of tires
> for my Chevy; after all, I had already *paid* for the *very same product*
> for my Jeep.  All they did was make the same tire in a slightly different
> size, and they want me to pay full price for it.  Sheesh :-)
>
> As it is, an enormous amount of software is pirated.  Indignant users
> tend to forget the damage that they do to the entire industry (and hence
> themselves) by stealing software that they are "entitled to".  Just because
> the media cost is so low and copying is so easy doesn't lessen the value
> of the product.

If I recall, the original topic here was about using ATM fonts for some
other computer on the NeXT. I think that some people, in their zeal for
political software correctness, are kind of missing the point and getting
carried away.

This bit about WordPerfect is a bit of a dead horse - clearly, the person
that wrote the above passage had a misunderstanding about the relationship
between software versions for different platforms.

As for the guy with the fonts, why shouldn't he use them on his NeXT if he
can convert them? The conversion process is trivial, and he probably isn't
going to be using them on BOTH computers! There are some that would argue
in favor of one-computer licenses, and some companies attempt to enforce
this by various copy protection schemes. This would mean that if you
upgraded, say, a Mac Plus to a Mac IIfx, you would have to buy all new
software? That's ridiculous. How about when you upgrade your hard disk? Or
your 030 motherboard to an 040? Although this is fundamentally different
from upgrading an IBM to a NeXT, ethically I say it is the same - if you
can't keep whatever software that you can still use in the IBM-NeXT upgrade,
the same thing should apply to a Mac-MacII upgrade, or whatever.

As a final note - I don't agree with piracy, but there are degrees of
piracy, some worse than others. An entire accounting firm, making millions
of dollars a year, using copies of some accounting program written by some
small, struggling software company and having pirated it, sure, that is
unconsciable. But what about the starving student, who has a choice between
Microsoft Word and his tuition, while Bill Gates frets about importing his
$600,000 Porsche into the country? I would frankly advise him to copy it.
Likewise, I will confess that I have pirated software in my day, for the
sake of curiosity, to see what a product is like. If I don't use it, and
wouldn't buy it anyway, nobody knows and nobody is worse off. However, if I
do use it and find it important to me, I'll buy it for upgrades, manuals,
support, and in order to do my fair share supporting the company by paying
them what is rightly theirs.

There are no cut and dry solutions - the software industry is in a very
strange state right now, and can't really be compared to the publishing
industry. (Actually, the only comparason I can make is in the publication of
orchestral scores, where the royalties can be so exorbitant that they are
actually curtailing the production of modern music where royalties must
still be paid to the composer.) Time will sort things out - I can only hope
that the resolution is *not* elaborate 1-CPU copy protection schemes!

 ---
    Anthony Berno (aberno@questor.wimsey.bc.ca)
      The QUESTOR Project: Free Public Access to Usenet & Internet in
                            Vancouver, BC, Canada, at +1 604 681 0670.

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (04/21/91)

> As it is, an enormous amount of software is pirated.  Indignant users
> tend to forget the damage that they do to the entire industry (and hence
> themselves) by stealing software that they are "entitled to".  Just because
> the media cost is so low and copying is so easy doesn't lessen the value
> of the product.
>
> The printing industry went through something like this, I believe, when
> the photocopier was invented.  It's still not entirely settled, and they
> don't even get a copy that's as good as the original.

With all due respect Glenn, and I DO mean that, the software industry is not
without it's unethical behavious on the other side of that fence. A quick
look at most software licenses will confirm that. I agree with you that
piracy is in almost every way unethical and illegal and happens far too
often. I would also like to point out that in spite of your equating the
book and software publishing industries battles with "piracy" (copyright
infringement actually), there have been no book publishers to the best of my
knowledge that have gone out of business becuase of the advent of the
photocopier.

I hope you caught my comments in a separate post. I'd be interested in
hearing your reactions/opinions.

cheers
adam

jjwcmp@isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (04/22/91)

In article <LZLm14w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) writes:
>glang@henry (Gary Lang) writes:
>
>> In article <9104110216.AA19711@epsoft> mark@epsoft.UUCP (Mark Chamberlain)
>> writes:
>> > I've recently built up a fairly decent ATM library of fonts under
>> > Windows 3. Now these are all Adobe Type 1 fonts - how can I use them
>> > on my NeXT? I have a set of files with pfb and pfm extensions - how
>> > do I build these into .font files?
>> >

>> For starters buy a copy form Adobe; it's illegal for you to use them on your
>> Windows AND NeXT machines. Pay for the software you use please.
>
>Is this, strictly and not-so-strictly true?
>
>I was under the impression that is a bit of a grey area.

After I received my Font Company CD ROM and read their license (more on
that later), I called Adobe and asked about their license.

Adobe's license is for one printer, and an unlimted number of
workstations using ATM or DPS. Additional printers are licensed as
follows (prices are for a typical $185 list package):

Printers 2-5: $185 (for all printers)
Printers 5-10: $185
and so on...

So to add a license for 3 (or 4 or 5) additional printers, it would only
cost $185.

The Font Company licenses their fonts for 1 high res printer (over
600dpi), 2 low res printers (below 600 dpi) and 10 rendering stations.

Disclaimer: This is what the droid at Adobe told me...

Jeff

--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjwcmp@ritvax +----------------------+ INET:jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu|

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (04/22/91)

Anthony Berno writes
> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>
> > I bought a set of five tires for my Jeep Cherokee the other day.  I was
> > really incensed when the tire dealer didn't give me a free set of tires
> > for my Chevy; after all, I had already *paid* for the *very same product*
> > for my Jeep.  All they did was make the same tire in a slightly different
> > size, and they want me to pay full price for it.  Sheesh :-)
> >
> As for the guy with the fonts, why shouldn't he use them on his NeXT if he
> can convert them? The conversion process is trivial, and he probably isn't
> going to be using them on BOTH computers!

If he doesn't use them on both computers, then it's legal, as far as I know.
But if you do use them on both computers, it's not.

> As a final note - I don't agree with piracy, but there are degrees of
> piracy, some worse than others. An entire accounting firm, making millions
> of dollars a year, using copies of some accounting program written by some
> small, struggling software company and having pirated it, sure, that is
> unconsciable. But what about the starving student, who has a choice between
> Microsoft Word and his tuition, while Bill Gates frets about importing his
> $600,000 Porsche into the country? I would frankly advise him to copy it.
> Likewise, I will confess that I have pirated software in my day, for the
> sake of curiosity, to see what a product is like. If I don't use it, and
> wouldn't buy it anyway, nobody knows and nobody is worse off. However, if I
> do use it and find it important to me, I'll buy it for upgrades, manuals,
> support, and in order to do my fair share supporting the company by paying
> them what is rightly theirs.

That's like saying that the people in the ghetto should rightfully be able
to steal from Bill Gates because after all, he has so much money that he
ought to share it with the poor starving people.  And I'm not trying to be
sensationalist; it really is equivalent, to argue that law should be bent
depending on how "deserving" people are.

> There are no cut and dry solutions - the software industry is in a very
> strange state right now, and can't really be compared to the publishing
> industry. (Actually, the only comparason I can make is in the publication of
> orchestral scores, where the royalties can be so exorbitant that they are
> actually curtailing the production of modern music where royalties must
> still be paid to the composer.) Time will sort things out - I can only hope
> that the resolution is *not* elaborate 1-CPU copy protection schemes!

One thing that people forget is what might happen if there were no software
piracy.  That is, it was physically impossible, in the same sense that you
cannot make a copy of your Jeep tires for your Chevy when no one is looking.

For one thing, a font might cost $10 instead of $185.  Really.  I've heard
estimates that only 2-3 percent of the fonts "out there" are actually paid
for.  Of course that drives the price up.  Wouldn't you all love to be able
to buy fonts for $10 a piece?  Well you can't, and perhaps a large reason
for that is the number of them that are copied without being paid for.

There is a cut-and-dried solution.  Software should be paid for item by
item, the same way auto parts are paid for, or the same way CD's are paid
for.  And I buy a lot of software, so it's not just from the point of view
of a software publisher that I speak.  The prices would come down and the
availability of truly excellent software would go up.

A few years ago every bit of software in the Mac environment was
copy-protected.  Severe public outcry caused copy-protection to be
removed from essentially all software.  And you know what?  The prices
have gone up.  You now pay $595, $695, $995 for major desktop publishing
packages.

In other words, it's not all about "political correctness".  There is a
very direct and serious economic impact from the rampant theft of
software.  Many good products don't hit the market because the market
will not pay for them.  The market wants everything, and they want to
pay nothing for it.  This forces software houses to charge high prices,
and it makes it very difficult for small companies to survive.

We should probably move this from comp.sys.next, or else just quit talking
about it :-)

--

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (04/22/91)

> For one thing, a font might cost $10 instead of $185.  Really.  I've heard
> estimates that only 2-3 percent of the fonts "out there" are actually paid
> for.  Of course that drives the price up.  Wouldn't you all love to be able
> to buy fonts for $10 a piece?  Well you can't, and perhaps a large reason
> for that is the number of them that are copied without being paid for.

Which is the chicken and which is the egg?

  asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca         The Chameleon Papers - Vancouver, BC
                   Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy - NeXT user
   Human beings are a great disappointment to me, and it doesn't help one
                       bit that I am one  --SF
                   Fingers Down The Throat Of Love

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/22/91)

Sorry to have raised this question, but I was misunderstood:
I did not mean to use get new "tires" for my other vehicle --
just be able to use them if I buy new rims (i.e, media/manuals), since
I got rid of the frustrating Mac in favor of the next, and am slowly
phasing out the PC-s in my life too..
In fact, Wordperfect did offer a substantial discount on the Mac
version on the basis of having gotten my money for version 4.2, 5.0,
etc. I don't think they do this for NeXT-owners, and expect that few
people will spend an extra few hundred dollars for Wordperfect on the
NeXT if they can do all the editing/typesetting with the bundled
Writenow/Emacs/TeX.
So let's leave it here ...

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

johnw@reed.UUCP (John B. Windberg) (04/22/91)

All this bantering aside, please someone tell me, how does one transfer
type 1 or 3 font files from mac files to NeXT. For my curriosity more than
anything else.

I do own several fonts legally and all, but I do not yet own a machine of any
variety. I own legally software for many as I end up using many, never my own.

Why shouldn't I be able to move my fonts from machine to machine as long as I
am the only person ever using them?

johnw

p.s. Sorry about that last paragraph, it just slipped in.

--
    _ _     Duh!                                 |
  O/.V.\O  /      johnw@reed (John B. Windberg)  | UNIX and Beer....

jjwcmp@isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr21.190925.9916@isc.rit.edu> jjwcmp@isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) writes:

>Adobe's license is for one printer, and an unlimted number of
>workstations using ATM or DPS. Additional printers are licensed as
>follows (prices are for a typical $185 list package):
>
>Printers 2-5: $185 (for all printers)
>Printers 5-10: $185
>and so on...

Well, here I am following up my own message. I must have written it down
wrong, or misunderstood what I was told.

Anyway, I rec'd the info in the mail from Adobe today, and this is their
multiple printer license stucture:

			Retail price per package
Printers	$95		$145	$185	$275	$370
2-5			$95		$145    $185    $275    $370
6-10		$190	$290	$370	$550	$740
11-15		$285	$435	$555	$825	$1110

The Font Folio (various packages grouped on a hard disk) are sold as
follows:

Packages	Retail Price
1-69		$9,600
1-105		$14,200
1-150		$16,900
CD-Rom		$15,900

The Font Folio comes with a 2 printer license, and the same price buys a
3-10 printer license. Additional hard disks are $2,000 each.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Adobe, and probably won't even buy any more
fonts from them (hello Font Company?).

Jeff

--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjwcmp@ritvax +----------------------+ INET:jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu|
|INTERNET: jjwcmp@ritvax.rit.edu              |____UUCP:jjwcmp@ultb.UUCP____|

bb@math.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (04/23/91)

The following posting is quite long, and consists mainly of social
commentary.  It a meta-discussion purporting to show that people
arguing the details of liscensing, copyright, patent, and
"intellectual property" laws should pause, step back, and decide what
behavior they are truly trying to encourage.

Facts:
-----
	Laws are arbitrarily-created rules by which we structure our
	society.

	In this country, the people at large get to choose what rules
	they want to live by.  In fact, the ability to arbitrarily
	create that very freedom was a keystone of motivation for the
	Europeans that settled in North America.

A strong suspicion:
------------------
	Laws are more "natural" and require less effort for people to
	comply with them when they follow the grain and style of what
	they regulate.

Some examples:
-------------
	Laws describing the prohibition of chemicals (alcohol,
	cannabis, etc.) are "bad" because they don't work in practice.

	To repair these laws a new attitude could be adopted whereby
	drug use is considered a health problem rather than a crime.
	Sweden does this already.  They save 90% of the money we
	spend treating the equivalent amount of drug symptoms by using
	a medical approach rather than a criminal one.

	Legally allowing the worship of your personal choice of
	deities is another arbitrary law.  It happens to work
	very well.

	The patent laws are creating a big mess in the computer
	software industry right now because the time period they grant
	for a legal monopoly hasn't been updated to match current
	software-building practice.  The laws aren't doing what they
	were originally designed to do (keep innovations from being
	lost to society as a whole) and instead are being used as a
	way to a keep business advantage to the detriment of society.

	The League for Programming Freedom has some suggested repairs
	for these arbitrarily-created laws, and they are far more
	eloquent than I am.  Send me mail if you are curious.

Thusly:
------
	Laws relating to programming, copyrights, and digital media
	are as arbitrary as any other laws.  They should be created to
	fill a specific need in a way that most people agree with.

	Laws relating to digital media will be more "natural" and
	require less effort for people to comply with them when they
	follow the grain and style of digital media.

	For instance, lawmakers have realized that XEROX copies are
	easy and cheap to make.  They have responded by making small
	quantities of them containing copyrighted material legal.
	Nobody bothers to XEROX whole books - it's more expensive, and
	the final output is worse.

	However, lawmakers haven't yet recognized the ease of making
	exact digital copies.  Therefore we have laws that try to
	prevent actions easy and natural to digital media users - and
	Prohibition didn't work for Alcohol, either.  These laws
	were created to enforce (obsolete?) notions of "intellectual
	property".

Conclusion:
----------
	Perhaps we should stop discussing tweaks to old laws, accept
	that digital copying is immensely useful (if it wasn't useful
	people wouldn't do it) and here to stay, and form new laws
	that create an environment that society (and programmers) can
	benefit from more than the one we have now.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bb
University of Florida	Internet:   bb@math.ufl.edu

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bb
University of Florida	Internet:   bb@math.ufl.edu

uad1077@dircon.co.uk (Ian Kemmish) (04/25/91)

Interested parties should probably check out comp.fonts and
comp.lang.postscript.

A few months ago there was a spate of font decrypting programs
posted.  Someone from Adobe (I think it was Glenn Reid) posted
an official notice of their policy on this:  they are I beleive
quite sanguine about you copying and/or decrypting Type 1 fonts
*so long as* it is for personal use (I think the statement defined
this more carefully than I am doing.  Basically, you should be OK
so long as you use only one of your Windows or NeXT machines at
a time.  But you should probably ask Adobe for clarification if
you want to be sure.

--
Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
18 Durham Close                   uad1077@dircon.UUCP

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (04/26/91)

>	However, lawmakers haven't yet recognized the ease of making
>	exact digital copies.  Therefore we have laws that try to
>	prevent actions easy and natural to digital media users - and
>	Prohibition didn't work for Alcohol, either.  These laws
>	were created to enforce (obsolete?) notions of "intellectual
>	property".

Okay. How about if we adapt your argument?

However, lawmakers haven't yet recognized the ease of shooting people in
the head.  Therefore we have laws that try to prevent actions easy and
natural to automatic weapons users - and Prohibition didn't work for
Alcohol, either.  These laws were created to enforce (obsolete?)
notions of "individual liberty".

			-- Chan