[comp.sys.next] NeXT Laser Printer/poweroff Solutions

roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu (04/24/91)

Thanks to everyone who offered much useful information re: how to turn off a
printer automatically. (At least) two solutions exist.
(1) (provided by Erik Kay):
create the following executable:
#!/bin/sh
usr/etc/nppower off

then execute the following as su
dwrite looginwindow LoooginHook <pathname to executable>

last, logout, type exit as user in the login window and type return for
password.  Logback in as any user and the printer will turn off.

(2) (provided by Art Isbell)
add the following to the rc.local file:
sleep 2
/usr/etc/nppower off

and the printer should come on and then go back off at boot time.

Thank you Erik and Art -- and all else who responded.

CAVEAT EMPTOR ..... blaa blaa blaa

NeXTMail to all addresses:
tony%cyrano@merk.com
tony%cyrano@uunet.uu.net
...uunet!cyrano!tony
roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu (as s last resort only!)

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr23.142549.647@hulaw1.harvard.edu>, roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu
writes:
> Thanks to everyone who offered much useful information re: how to turn off a
> printer automatically. (At least) two solutions exist.
	About 2 weeks ago our slab arrived...has NeXT laser printer and version
	2.1 of the OS...seems to turn printer power off automatically each
	time a job is printed.  So a third solution appears to be:  get 2.1.

c.f.waltrip

Internet:  <waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.