[comp.sys.next] detex

lastole@athena.mit.edu (Lars A Stole) (04/22/91)

I recently downloaded ispell from nova.cc.purdue.edu which contained the
source and a binary for detex.  Unfortunately, although ispell works fine,
whenever I run detex I get a bus error followed by a core dump.  Is there
something peculiar about my machine setup that could be causing this
problem, or have others had similar problems with detex?  Is there a simple
fix?

Lars Stole
MIT, Dept. of Economics

nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr21.184321.26581@athena.mit.edu> lastole@athena.mit.edu (Lars A Stole) writes:
>I recently downloaded ispell from nova.cc.purdue.edu which contained the
>source and a binary for detex.  Unfortunately, although ispell works fine,
>whenever I run detex I get a bus error followed by a core dump.  Is there
>something peculiar about my machine setup that could be causing this
>problem, or have others had similar problems with detex?

I've got exactly the same problem!

simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) (04/25/91)

   From: nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 24 Apr 91 21:14:21 GMT
   Sender: usenet@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu

   In article <1991Apr21.184321.26581@athena.mit.edu> lastole@athena.mit.edu (Lars A Stole) writes:
   >I recently downloaded ispell from nova.cc.purdue.edu which contained the
   >source and a binary for detex.  Unfortunately, although ispell works fine,
   >whenever I run detex I get a bus error followed by a core dump.  Is there
   >something peculiar about my machine setup that could be causing this
   >problem, or have others had similar problems with detex?

   I've got exactly the same problem!

The problem is that detex needs to be compiled with the c compiler option
 -fwritable-strings
I will repost ispell right now. Let me know if you have any problems say
after April 26. The new version should be there by then.
    Internet:      simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu
    Othernet:      simmons@hoofers.lake.mendota
--- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
According to the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, the one thing we
 *cannot* afford to have is a sense of perspective.

In article <SIMMONS.91Apr24215329@rigel.neep.wisc.edu>
	simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) writes:
>The problem is that detex needs to be compiled with the c compiler option
> -fwritable-strings

Ick, barf.  Fix the code!!!

					-=EPS=-
--
Changing constants at runtime should have died with FORTRASH 66.

simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) (04/26/91)

   From: eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 25 Apr 91 10:12:40 GMT

   In article <SIMMONS.91Apr24215329@rigel.neep.wisc.edu>
	   simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) writes:
   >The problem is that detex needs to be compiled with the c compiler option
   > -fwritable-strings

   Ick, barf.  Fix the code!!!

					   -=EPS=-
   --
   Changing constants at runtime should have died with FORTRASH 66.

I agree, but i didn't write the code.
    Internet:      simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu
    Othernet:      simmons@hoofers.lake.mendota
--- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
According to the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, the one thing we
 *cannot* afford to have is a sense of perspective.

paul@aqua.ccit.arizona.edu (Paul Sanchez) (04/26/91)

i think i'm the one who triggered this whole detex thread.  i finally
got everything working, thanks to kim and robert olson
<olson@sax.cs.uiuc.edu>.

as has been noted, detex needs to be compiled with -fwritable-strings
to work on the next.  ispell compiles fine from the distribution
placed on sonata.

i still was having trouble getting ispell/detex to work in emacs.
what finally fixed it for me was removing the line "(setq
process-connection-type nil)" from my .emacs initialization.  this had
worked its way in on another system, and screws things up (at least
for me) on the next.

thanks again to everyone who helped.
--paul