[comp.sys.next] next to imagen won't go

fink@acf5.NYU.EDU (Howard Fink) (04/13/91)

Has anyone had any success at printing files from a next to an imagen
printer over ethernet?  The next rep in New York had no experience with
such a challenge.  Presently, all that prints is the ascii file of the
postscript.

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/13/91)

In article <16880001@acf5.NYU.EDU> fink@acf5.NYU.EDU (Howard Fink) writes:
   Has anyone had any success at printing files from a next to an imagen
   printer over ethernet?  The next rep in New York had no experience with
   such a challenge.  Presently, all that prints is the ascii file of the
   postscript.

Imagens are not postscript printers; you need a filter
pstoimpress (similar to lj2ps); I don't know if anyone has written it.
But you can print dvi-files with the -d option!

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (04/15/91)

In article <16880001@acf5.NYU.EDU> fink@acf5.NYU.EDU (Howard Fink) writes:
>Has anyone had any success at printing files from a next to an imagen
>printer over ethernet?  The next rep in New York had no experience with
>such a challenge.  Presently, all that prints is the ascii file of the
>postscript.

We print to a QMS Imagen 5320. There are problems trying to maintain
a demon to keep the queue functioning. We often have to save the
file as a PostScript file (from the Print dialog box) and send it to
the Imagen from a command-line logged into a server other than the
NeXT.

Supposedly, NeXT Inc in Redwood City is installing an Imagen printer
which will print from a NeXT.

Sorry I don't know more details.
--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (04/26/91)

   In article <16880001@acf5.NYU.EDU> fink@acf5.NYU.EDU (Howard Fink) writes:
   >Has anyone had any success at printing files from a next to an imagen
   >printer over ethernet?  The next rep in New York had no experience with
   >such a challenge.  Presently, all that prints is the ascii file of the
   >postscript.

have you checked NextAnswers? Seems to me the problem of PostScript
source being printed instead of the "image" is dealt with in one of
the question/answer pairs.
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."