[comp.sys.next] multiple response stations

kidd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (gary kidd) (04/25/91)

I just bought a NeXTcube to run an auditory perception laboratory and I'm
trying to determine the best way to set up multiple (4 is what I have
in mind) response stations that will allow subjects to enter their
choice procedures so I don't need full keyboards or video displays for
the subjects.  One suggestion I got was to hook up terminals to the
serial ports.  This would work, but requires adding serial ports to
get four subject stations.  I would prefer a more elegant solution
where on routine is monitoring four response boxes that are connected
to one port (perhaps daisy-chained off the SCSI port?).

If anyone has worked out a solution to this problem or thinks they
know how it could be done, I would very much like to hear about it.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary R. Kidd
Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN  47405

kidd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Richard Tilley) (04/26/91)

In <1991Apr25.165532.10677@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> kidd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (gary kidd) writes:

>I just bought a NeXTcube to run an auditory perception laboratory and I'm
>trying to determine the best way to set up multiple (4 is what I have
>in mind) response stations that will allow subjects to enter their
>choice procedures so I don't need full keyboards or video displays for
>the subjects.  One suggestion I got was to hook up terminals to the
>serial ports.  This would work, but requires adding serial ports to
>get four subject stations.  I would prefer a more elegant solution
>where on routine is monitoring four response boxes that are connected
>to one port (perhaps daisy-chained off the SCSI port?).

You could wire each victimswitch in parallel to a unique keyswitch on a keyboard.
Don't use one of the priceless old ones. Trade someone for 2 of the new ones.
On second thot, sacrifice an old dumb terminal attached to a serial port.
*CAUTION*. I am a software person and have done none of these things.
I do have an old keyboard. I'm keeping it.  ;-)