[comp.sys.next] Release 2.0/External Hard Drive help needed

markc@hardy.u.washington.edu (Mark Choi) (04/26/91)

I'm thinking of purchasing a NeXTStation 105, 8, 2.88 and also
a third-party 105 meg QUANTUM Hard Drive. What I was thinking of doing
was copying Release 2.0 EXTENDED (instead of standard) onto the 105
internal and then partitioning the external drive for virtual memory
and free space. Will Release 2.0 Extended fit on 105 megs? Or will I
have to split up Release 2.0 extended onto both hard drives?

Mark (respond to markc@hardy.u.washington.edu)
thanks

timbuck@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Timothy Buck) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.214302.11766@hardy.u.washington.edu> markc@hardy.acs.washington.edu (Mark Choi) writes:
>I'm thinking of purchasing a NeXTStation 105, 8, 2.88 and also
>a third-party 105 meg QUANTUM Hard Drive. What I was thinking of doing
>was copying Release 2.0 EXTENDED (instead of standard) onto the 105
>internal and then partitioning the external drive for virtual memory
>and free space. Will Release 2.0 Extended fit on 105 megs? Or will I
>have to split up Release 2.0 extended onto both hard drives?
>
>Mark (respond to markc@hardy.u.washington.edu)
>thanks

The Extended release takes approx. 170 megs.  You'd be better off probably
to buy a 200 meg system and the external drive.  That's what I wish I could
have done.  Instead I'm eventually going to purchase an external 200 meg
drive to supplement the internal 105 that I have.  Of course I'll put the
extended release on the external drive and boot from it.

Tim

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (04/26/91)

markc@hardy.u.washington.edu (Mark Choi) writes:

> I'm thinking of purchasing a NeXTStation 105, 8, 2.88 and also
> a third-party 105 meg QUANTUM Hard Drive. What I was thinking of doing
> was copying Release 2.0 EXTENDED (instead of standard) onto the 105
> internal and then partitioning the external drive for virtual memory
> and free space. Will Release 2.0 Extended fit on 105 megs? Or will I
> have to split up Release 2.0 extended onto both hard drives?
>
> Mark (respond to markc@hardy.u.washington.edu)
> thanks

A virgin Extended 2.0 install from OD is 179 megs, so it *probably* won't
fit on a 105. Perhaps that's why they didn't ship Extended on the 105's?

:-)

-drin

Adrian Smith             ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982