[comp.sys.next] major SCSI disk problem

me@spirea.UiB.NO (My Account) (04/20/91)

ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
>We're having a *major* problem with a SCSI drive on a plain, 105 Meg
>slab.  Before I get into it, I've tried NextAnswers, FAQ, my campus rep,
[stuff deleted...]
>We've got a Micropolis 1648-7 drive (330 Meg half-height), which we're

and I have a Conner CP-3100 SCSI (105 Meg half-height)

>trying to run as an external SCSI device on the slab.  We've got an
>enclosure, a power supply, and a cable. The drive (we thought) had a
>problem before with its low level format,...

same here (but on a cube)

>...and have spent the rest of the day (6 hours) trying to get it working.

I've used a couple of weeks, but I'm a Unix know-nothing.

>[symptoms - can read/write, write label, all the "right" signals/
>messages from Mach on boot/login, and so on...]

yeah, exactly the same here...

>then we get "error initializing external disk:initialization failure"

no kidding?  I get "builddisk: Disk initialization failed"

>It'll write the label, and it'll even read and write the drive, but if
>you try and init the drive, the following happens:
>
>disk>init
>DESTROYS ALL EXISTING DATA -- really initialize?y
>enter host name: nova
>enter disk label: Mikey
>writing disk label
>Block 0 boot is "/usr/standalone/boot", ok? y
>creating new filesystem on /dev/rsd1a
>/usr/etc/newfs -n -v /dev/rsd1a
>/etc/mkfs /dev/rsd1a 340448 28 7 8192 1024 32 10 60 4096 t
>write error: 340447
>wtfs: I/O error
>/usr/etc/newfs /dev/rsd1a failed (status 1)
>
>This wtfs error is repeatable, and is driving us nuts!! We cannot get the
>drive to initialize.

EXACTLY the same problem I've been having getting the Conner installed.

(their tech support:"you have a WHAT??? A NeXT???  What OS does it run???
Unix - nope, don't know 'nothin 'bout Unix... Send it back as defective and
buy a different brand (!)" )

This is what I got:

sushi# /etc/disk /dev/rsd0a
disk name: CONNER CP3100-100mb-3.5
disk type: fixed_rw_scsi
Disk utility
disk> init
DESTROYS ALL EXISTING DISK DATA -- really initialize? y
enter host name: sushi
enter disk label: CONNER
writing disk label
Block 0 boot is "/usr/standalone/boot", ok? y
creating new filesystem on /dev/rsd0a
/usr/etc/newfs -n -v /dev/rsd0a
/etc/mkfs /dev/rsd0a 90000 33 8 8192 1024 32 10 60 4096 t
write error: 89999
wtfs: Error 0
/usr/etc/newfs /dev/rsd0a failed (status 1)

(this was after trying to reduce the number of sectors to something ridiculous just to see if disk could tackle the disk.  It couldn't.)

scsimodes gave me this:
sushi# /usr/etc/scsimodes /dev/rsd0a
SCSI information for /dev/rsd0a
Drive type: CONNER CP3100-100mb-3.5
512 bytes per sector
33 sectors per track
8 tracks per cylinder
776 cylinder per volume (including spare cylinders)
1 spare sectors per track
0 alternate tracks per volume
204863 usable sectors on volume
sushi#

After I got 2.0 I thought - Oh great, now I'm all set - I'll take on this disk now, heh heh heh. Wrong.  2.0 choked too.  Witness the following:

Building hard disk

#
# Building a 100 MB hard disk drive.
#
# NeXT File System build procedure
# Build a hard disk from booted file system
# Release 2.0
#
# Build the read-write partition (a)
# First check the size of the source directories
disk name: CONNER CP3100-100mb-3.5
disk type: fixed_rw_scsi
writing disk label
creating new filesystem on /dev/rsd0a
/usr/etc/newfs -n -v /dev/rsd0a
setting optimization for space with minfree less than 10
/etc/mkfs /dev/rsd0a 102272 17 8 8192 1024 16 5 60 4096 s
/dev/rsd0a:	102272 sectors in 752 cylinders of 8 tracks, 17 sectors
	104.7Mb in 47 cyl groups (16 c/g, 2.23Mb/g, 512 i/g)
super-block backups (for fsck -b#) at:write error: 32
wtfs: I/O error
/usr/etc/newfs /dev/rsd0a failed (status 1)
builddisk: Disk initialization failed
Build of /dev/sd0 aborted

I also tried initializing the drive first (low level format).  The NeXT software (2.0) completed it without error.   Rory Bolts formatter wasn't so easily pleased:

Device type: disk
Removable: no
ECMA version: 0
ANSI version: 1
Make: CONNER
Model: CP3100-100mb-3.5
Revision: 0A0B
Blocksize: 512
Capacity: 0 Kbytes (its really 104.9mb)

# CONNER CP3100-100mb-3.5
CP3100-100mb-3.5|CONNER CP3100-100mb-3.5|CONNER CP3100-100mb-3.5 w/512 byte sectors as 1 partition:\
	:ty=fixed_rw_scsi:nc#776:nt#8:ns#33:ss#1024:rm#3600:\
	:fp#160:bp#0:ng#0:gs#0:ga#0:ao#0:\
	:os=sdmach:z0#32:z1#96:r0=a:\
	:pa#0:sa#102272:ba#8192:fa#1024:ca#32:da#4096:ra#10:oa=time:\
	:ia:ta=4.3BSD:

Unable to format disk due to error in mode select command.

So no - you are not alone (sorry...:-(    )
But it was good to hear I'm not the only one with a NeXT and a "SCSI" drive that doesn't work.  One wonders sometimes...

Well, now there's TWO of us...
Anyone out there in net land want to tackle this one...?
Any help is greatly appreciated.  (Actually I've already contacted the retailer to get a refund - they've refused, so far.  Maybe at least I can sell it - it worked fine with the PS/2...)

--
Thor-Lee Legvold                 |         ppstl@nobergen.earn (or .bitnet)
University of Bergen             |         ppstl@cc.uib.no

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr19.203828.21435@ulrik.uio.no> me@spirea.UiB.NO (My Account) writes:
   ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
   >We're having a *major* problem with a SCSI drive on a plain, 105 Meg
   >slab.  Before I get into it, I've tried NextAnswers, FAQ, my campus rep,
   [stuff deleted...]
   >We've got a Micropolis 1648-7 drive (330 Meg half-height), which we're

   and I have a Conner CP-3100 SCSI (105 Meg half-height)

Your SCSI drives probably are not compatible with the NeXT. There are
drives out there which will _NOT_ work with the NeXT, no matter how
hard you try. I am not sure of the Micropolis model # mentioned, but I
have seen a Micropolis drive which _WAS INCOMPATIBLE_ with the NeXT.
This was due to the drive manufacturers SCSI implementation (if you want to
call it that), not NeXT.

In otherwords, caveat emptor, and hope you have a money-back
guarantee.

--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (04/26/91)

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu writes:

> In article <1991Apr19.203828.21435@ulrik.uio.no> me@spirea.UiB.NO (My Account
>    ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
>    >We're having a *major* problem with a SCSI drive on a plain, 105 Meg
>    >slab.  Before I get into it, I've tried NextAnswers, FAQ, my campus rep,
>    [stuff deleted...]
>    >We've got a Micropolis 1648-7 drive (330 Meg half-height), which we're
>
>    and I have a Conner CP-3100 SCSI (105 Meg half-height)
>
> Your SCSI drives probably are not compatible with the NeXT. There are
> drives out there which will _NOT_ work with the NeXT, no matter how
> hard you try. I am not sure of the Micropolis model # mentioned, but I
> have seen a Micropolis drive which _WAS INCOMPATIBLE_ with the NeXT.
> This was due to the drive manufacturers SCSI implementation (if you want to
> call it that), not NeXT.
>
> In otherwords, caveat emptor, and hope you have a money-back
> guarantee.
>
> --
> "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
>  and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
> 	-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

The problem was a bad ROM. It's now fixed. Works great...

Adrian Smith             ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982