[comp.sys.next] NeXT & Sample 68040

timbur@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Tim Burnett) (04/26/91)

During an interesting conversation with a fellow NeXTer, he brought out the
fact that when he opened his slab to add more memory, he noticed that
the 68040 was a "sample" chip. He had ordered his slab about a week after
mine (November of 1990), so I figured I might have the same thing. Sure
enough, my 68040 is a "sample" chip.

What does this mean? I'm not sure. People with more technical background
than mine might know. I have heard that the 68040 "sample" does not have
the same mask as the final. I can't comment on what differences that makes.

The one thing that really bothers me is that someone at NeXT took a marker
and tried to hide that it was a sample chip back marking over the sample
label. This seems to me to show an intent to defraud, IMHO. You can tell
if your machine is a "sample" by looking for that label at the top of the
chip. You should be able to see "sample" through the dark ink. Also I
believe that only the "sample" chips have the yellow lines on three sides.

If the "sample" chip is no different than the final chip, then I have no real
problem. If however, this chip has faults that were fixed at a later date,
then I feel that I have been defrauded.

Any comments?

masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Masaru Sugai) (04/26/91)

In article <47940@ut-emx.uucp> timbur@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Tim Burnett) writes:
>During an interesting conversation with a fellow NeXTer, he brought out the
>fact that when he opened his slab to add more memory, he noticed that
>the 68040 was a "sample" chip. He had ordered his slab about a week after
>mine (November of 1990), so I figured I might have the same thing. Sure
>enough, my 68040 is a "sample" chip.
I ordered in mid-October and got one on February 8. I opened up my slab
that day to see if it carried a special 040 on it, and found a hand-written
black letter 'S' by a huge heat sink. Also I didn't know the manufacturer
of 400MB HD until I run into the log file, as it is armored with dark green
plastic cover.

>What does this mean? I'm not sure. People with more technical background
>than mine might know. I have heard that the 68040 "sample" does not have
>the same mask as the final. I can't comment on what differences that makes.
 I'm not sure NeXT use the sample editons in the recently shipped NeXTs, but
I'm also curious about their technical changes including motherboard.

>If the "sample" chip is no different than the final chip, then I have no real
>problem. If however, this chip has faults that were fixed at a later date,
>then I feel that I have been defrauded.
 I had had a deep concern when 'atan' bug was discussed a few month ago :(
I don't care if NeXT uses samples as long as their defects show up within the
warranty term. That accounts for most of the reason I never turn off my slab.

 To be fair, there has been NO hardware problem over four months.  But I would
be relieved to have a special warranty if the said samples had inherent defects
just in case. (I believe most manufactures have such policy similar to 'recall')

--
-- Masaru Sugai:Use disclaimer. CIS 72050,2141:NeXT + A3000 = money-eater
NEC Corporation:sugai@ccs.mt.nec.co.jp DORMANT:hardwired logic,machine language