[comp.sys.next] Simple Background

jy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jules Andrew Yasuna) (04/25/91)

Many users wish to tile the screen background with some tiff file.
Apparently "Background" will handle this. What I wish to do is
musch simpler (I think?). All I want is to turn off the grey
background in favor of a black background. Now I could effect this
using "Background" and an all black tiff image, but I was hoping
to avoid having another background process running. So, the question
is, is it possible to just turn off the default grey background ?

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (04/26/91)

In article <0c5S18W00WBN43XnFM@andrew.cmu.edu> jy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jules Andrew Yasuna) writes:
>Many users wish to tile the screen background with some tiff file.
>Apparently "Background" will handle this. What I wish to do is
>musch simpler (I think?). All I want is to turn off the grey
>background in favor of a black background. Now I could effect this
>using "Background" and an all black tiff image, but I was hoping
>to avoid having another background process running. So, the question
>is, is it possible to just turn off the default grey background ?

 Here's a little util I got from someone else on the net (don't know who
at the moment; sorry!). I modified it to just take a fray argument (original
was for color). To use:

  1. Copy this into a file (eg "bgg" for BackGround Gray)
  2. Make the file executable (WM Inspector or UNIX chmod(1)).
  3. Put it someplace nice (a personal bin directory on your search path).
  4. Add the appropriate line to your .login or .cshrc file:
       bgg num
     where num is between 0.0 (black) and 1.0 (white)

  Enjoy!

---8<---8<---8<---
#!/bin/csh -f

#echo $0 : setting background color

/usr/bin/pft << MyEOF > /dev/null

14 windowdeviceround $1 setgray setexposurecolor
14 currentwindowbounds Nonretained window /w exch def
false w setautofill
Above 0 w orderwindow
w termwindow

MyEOF
--
/ Nik Gervae aka dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu | "It'll be finished next week, \
| CS/Linguistics stud. & NeRD at UM (go blow) | I promise!"--me               |

PPSTL@livid.uib.no (04/27/91)

Many users wish to tile the screen background with some tiff file.
Apparently "Background" will handle this. What I wish to do is
musch simpler (I think?). All I want is to turn off the grey
background in favor of a black background. Now I could effect this
using "Background" and an all black tiff image, but I was hoping
to avoid having another background process running. So, the question
is, is it possible to just turn off the default grey background ?

Brought to you by comp.sys.next...
This fills the background with the colour of your choice and uses no
memory - it fills video ram directly.

Call like this: backgroundcolor .5 .5 .5 (use 0 0 0 for black)
--------klippe klippe--------
[$/bin/csh -f
[echo ]0 : setting background colour
/usr/bin/pft <<MyEOF> /dev/null
14 windowdeviceround ]1 ]2 ]3 setrgbcolor setexposurecolor
14 currentwindowbounds Nonretained window /w exch def
false w setautofill
Above 0 w orderwindow
w termwindow

MyEOF
----------klippe klippe----------
I didn't write this so don't hold me responsible for it - all
I did was swipe it from the net...It works fine for me.

Thor-Lee Legvold            ! ppstl\nobergen.earn
University of Bergen        ! ppstl\cc.uib.no
Norway                      ! and now on NeXT...
Hvor mye for datteren din?  ! me\fiol.uib.no