[comp.sys.next] Shakespeare and Librarian: annoying little bug

jmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (04/17/91)

I ran into something that I consider a bug (minor, certainly, but a bug
none-the-less) in the NeXT Shakespeare:

I just tried looking up Henry 6 part 2 in the Librarian.  All it would find
was part 1 (not parts 2 or 3). After some poking around, I discovered that
Henry VI part 2 is there under the title "The First Part of the Contention"
and part 3 is under the title "Richard Duke of York."  The introduction
to the former gives the reasons for this: these were apparently the
original titles. This is all well and good, but the Librarian really
should have been able to find them under their standard titles.  I'd even
go a step further and say that the folders and files should have the standard
titles and that only in the text should it mention the original titles. It
may be very scholarly and clever of them to restore their original titles,
but this shouldn't be done if it makes it harder for 99% of the users to find
them.

Jim Mann                                      jmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com
Stratus Computer

tom@tarpon.cs.fau.edu (Tom Horton) (04/17/91)

I can fill all of you in on the unusual titles in Shakespeare
on the NeXT.  (Anyone else hacking the Bard out there?)

What's on the NeXT is a version of a published edition:
*William Shakespeare:  The Complete Works*, edited by Stanley
Wells and Gary Taylor, et al.   The actual published version
departs from the usual titles in several instances, for reasons
explained in the volume (and presumably somewhere on the NeXT, too.)

All NeXT has done is made available an electronic version of a text.
Part of their license from the Oxford Univ. Press would be to faithfully
reproduce (within the limits of representing a printed book on a computer)
the original printed text.   If you disagree with editorial decisions
made in the original publication, it's not NeXT's fault.

I don't like (or remember) the titles either.  But the Librarian will
just find things in the text and return the file names they're stored
under.  Perhaps some kind of elegant "aliasing" function could be
incorporated into Digital Librarian, but I'm not sure this would be
worth the trouble.

Tom

Dr. Thomas B. Horton
Department of Computer Science
Florida Atlantic University
Boca Raton, FL 33431  USA        Phone:  407/367-2674   FAX: 407/367-2800
Internet:  tom@cs.fau.edu        Bitnet: HortonT@fauvax

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr17.151730.29249@cs.fau.edu> tom@tarpon.cs.fau.edu (Tom Horton) writes:

>I don't like (or remember) the titles either.  But the Librarian will
>just find things in the text and return the file names they're stored
>under.  Perhaps some kind of elegant "aliasing" function could be   <<<
>incorporated into Digital Librarian, but I'm not sure this would be <<<
>worth the trouble.

I don't have 2.0 installed yet, but the manual says you can use real
regular expressions!  A major complaint I have on 1.0 is it looks
for two or three keywords anywhere in the file when what I really want
is to find them on the same or adjoining lines.  Regular expressions
will get the same line, so we are half way there.
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA        rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us         412-471-5320
venetia@investor.pgh.pa.us [NeXT Mail]     ...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp [UUCP]

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr17.151730.29249@cs.fau.edu> tom@tarpon.cs.fau.edu (Tom Horton) writes:
>  [text deleted  --SJB]
>under.  Perhaps some kind of elegant "aliasing" function could be
>incorporated into Digital Librarian, but I'm not sure this would be
>worth the trouble.

     It certainly would *not* be worth the trouble because aliasing is
already available in UNIX.  See the man page for ln(1) and go fix your
system's Shakespeare up however you like it.

>Tom

>Dr. Thomas B. Horton
>Department of Computer Science
>Florida Atlantic University
>Boca Raton, FL 33431  USA        Phone:  407/367-2674   FAX: 407/367-2800
>Internet:  tom@cs.fau.edu        Bitnet: HortonT@fauvax

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Spent a little time on the mountain, Spent a little time on the  *
*   Hill, The things that went down you don't understand, But I      *
*   think in time you will."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time      *
*  since 25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)  *

chance@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Chance Brohm) (04/24/91)

(**DRIFT WARNING**)

Another weird problem I noticed last night WRT Shakespeare:  while expounding
on the virtues of my new NeXTCube to some friends, I decided to look up the
famous soliloquy from Hamlet, "To be, or not to be..."  Bad choice! I tried
looking up just "not to be" (in case the punctuation was wrong) as well as
neighboring phrases like "slings and arrows" and "outrageous fortune".
All of these searches returned (after a LONNNG pause) with "0 Found" - WHY?

Being not intimately familiar with Hamlet, I'm not sure which Act/Scene
this appears in, but my quick glances through the individual files did not
reveal this passage either.  In desperation (my friends were saying unkind
things at this point...) I went to Quotations, and lo! there was exactly
the passage I had been searching for.   :-|

Later on (alone with my obstreperous cube) I completely re-indexed the
Shakespeare target.  No help.  I also was displeased to notice on closer
inspection that the citation in Quotations did not include the Act/Scene
number, but rather only a line number (wow - that's useful!).  :-(

I'm certainly willing to believe that it's entirely pilot error - please
tell me where I missed the mark. (Also, if you know the Act/Scene/Line of
that soliloquy, I'd appreciate knowing that too).

Thanks!
 -Chance

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (04/26/91)

In article <7410001@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> chance@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Chance Brohm) writes:
>(**DRIFT WARNING**)
>
>Another weird problem I noticed last night WRT Shakespeare:  while expounding
>on the virtues of my new NeXTCube to some friends, I decided to look up the
>famous soliloquy from Hamlet, "To be, or not to be..."  Bad choice! I tried
>looking up just "not to be" (in case the punctuation was wrong) as well as
>neighboring phrases like "slings and arrows" and "outrageous fortune".
>All of these searches returned (after a LONNNG pause) with "0 Found" - WHY?
>
>Being not intimately familiar with Hamlet, I'm not sure which Act/Scene
>this appears in, but my quick glances through the individual files did not
>reveal this passage either.  In desperation (my friends were saying unkind
>things at this point...) I went to Quotations, and lo! there was exactly
>the passage I had been searching for.   :-|
>
>Later on (alone with my obstreperous cube) I completely re-indexed the
>Shakespeare target.  No help.  I also was displeased to notice on closer
>inspection that the citation in Quotations did not include the Act/Scene
>number, but rather only a line number (wow - that's useful!).  :-(
>
>I'm certainly willing to believe that it's entirely pilot error - please
>tell me where I missed the mark. (Also, if you know the Act/Scene/Line of
>that soliloquy, I'd appreciate knowing that too).
>
>Thanks!
> -Chance
  It's sort of a pilot error. One thing you must keep in mind is that indexing
throws out short words (like "to", "be", "not", "or"...sound familiar?). So,
if you're gonna look for this phrase (or *any* phrase--see below), TURN
USE INDEXES OFF first. And yes, it'll take a while; and yes, mind your
puntuation (and probably capitalization too).

  Another thing is that in use indexes mode, Librarian looks for any file
with all the specified words in it--they can be out of order or disjoint.
Librarian is more of a keyword-search tool than a true text searching
tool. If you know the phrase is in Hamlet, for example, you can click on
"Stop" as soon as you see that title disappear in the searching field....
(just an example).

  Hope that helps.

  [Patient: doctor, when I bend over it hurts.
   Doctor:  So don't bend over. ]

   ;-)

--
/ Nik Gervae aka dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu | "It'll be finished next week, \
| CS/Linguistics stud. & NeRD at UM (go blow) | I promise!"--me               |

tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Richard Tilley) (04/26/91)

It indexes by words, not phrases. It leaves out simple words like
'be' 'or' 'not' 'to'. Perhaps it should warn about this.
Try turning off the index.

mikem@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Mike Morton) (04/27/91)

Chance Brohm complained that Librarian wasn't finding things in Shakespeare.
Nik Anthony Gervae suggested that the problem was the kind of searches,
that it works best when searching for single words, and not short words.

I've had problems with this for a long time, including long single
words (like "fortune" and "perdition").  I think I finally found the
problem -- Literature.bshlf on my machine has its preferences set to
search filenames (not contents) and NOT to use the indexes.

Did I accidentally change the preferences (a bit hard to do, since I
can't save a changed bookshelf unless I'm 'root', I think), or did
my 2.1 system arrive with bogus preferences?  Anyone care to check
how their Literature.bshlf is set up and let me know?  I'll summarize
to the net.

(*** no flame, no gain ***)

So it may still be pilot error, but I'm unimpressed that a tool intended
for humanists is so unforgiving.  A message like "0 found" should be
expanded to tell hapless users (me) how many targets from the shelf
were searched, and whether it searched titles, contents, or both.

Further, why does the app let you click "Search" when you have no
targets selected?  The least it could do is select the leftmost
target on the shelf when you start up...

 -- Mike Morton // P.O. Box 11299, Honolulu, HI  96828, (808) 676-6966 HST
      Internet: mikem@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
    (anagrams): Mr. Machine Tool; Ethical Mormon; Chosen Immortal; etc.

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (04/27/91)

In article <12688@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> mikem@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Mike Morton) writes:
>                                              Anyone care to check
>how their Literature.bshlf is set up and let me know?

My Librarian.bshlf in 2.0 (which I have not modified) was set to
file names like yours.

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131