[net.auto] Diesels

greg@isrnix.UUCP (Gregory Travis) (01/26/86)

As far as I know Volvo does not make their own "ground up"
(as in "from the ground up", not as in "ground up meat") diesel.  The
Volvo diesel is a modified VW/Audi diesel with either an extra cylinder
tacked on (to make 6), or one removed (to make 4) (I can't remember).

--
    Gregory R. Travis
    Institute for Social Research - Indiana University - Bloomington, In

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (01/30/86)

In article <683@isrnix.UUCP> greg@isrnix.UUCP (Gregory Travis) writes:

>As far as I know Volvo does not make their own "ground up"
>(as in "from the ground up", not as in "ground up meat") diesel.  The
>Volvo diesel is a modified VW/Audi diesel with either an extra cylinder
>tacked on (to make 6), or one removed (to make 4) (I can't remember).

You're correct in that Volvo does not make their own diesels.
However, it *is* a "ground up" diesel, and a completely different
block from the VW 4-cylinder and the Audi 5-cylinder.

The VW 4-cylinder has been around since 1974 or so, being first used
in the 1974 Passat (Dasher) as far as I recall.  The 1977 Audi 100 5E
(5000) added an extra cylinder to this block, and a few years later a
diesel version was introduced.  In any case, as I recall, the 1976
Golf D, which did *not* have a "ground up" diesel, provided much
better performance than any of the diesels on the market at the time.
Incidentally, VW also has a 3-cylinder prototype based on the same
block.

The 6-cylinder diesel, though, was designed to be a diesel.  It hhas
been used for almost a decade by Volvo, Peugeot and VW (the latter in
the LT ("Large Transporter") van.  I can't remember the specs but it's
not based on the 4-cylinder.

As to the future of these engines, VW's new Passat (Quantum) will use
a transverse engine, which makes it impossible to use a 5-cylinder
engine, so they will all be equipped with various types of 4-cylinder
engines.  Audi, on the other hand, is busy designing V6 and V8-engines
to be fitted into their entire line; looks like they, too, are moving
away from the 5-cylinder design.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

struve@calma.UUCP (Dimetry Struve) (02/01/86)

The Volvo diesel is a VW truck engine, designed as a 6 cylinder diesel.