[comp.sys.next] NeXTstep news reader available

surak@next.com (Jayson Adams) (04/27/91)

Hola,

I've placed NewsGrazer, a NeXTstep news reader app, out on the archives.  At
the moment it's available from sonata.cc.purdue.edu (download
/pub/next/submissions/NewsGrazer.52.1.tar.Z).  It's also in the /pub/\temp
folder at umd5.umd.edu.  Here's a brief description:

___
NewsGrazer gives the news reading and manipulation process a graphical
interface.  You can select groups by clicking on them, which displays a list of
the group's articles (optionally sorted by title and time).  You can read an
article by clicking on it;  articles can be exported to other apps via Services
(if they accept files).  NewsGrazer allows users to post messages and to reply
to posters by mail.  NewsFolders (similar to Mailboxes) allow easy storage and
retrieval of news articles.  Filters have similar functionality to rn kill
files.

NewsGrazer requires NeXTstep 2.0 and supports both mounted and nntp news
sources.  NewsGrazer does not configure a system to retrieve news from a news
feed or to run nntp.
___

Please let me know about any bugs you run across.  You can also ask me for
features, but don't expect them any time soon.  If you have questions about how
something works, or it looks like a feature is missing, please be sure you've
checked the on-line documentation and Preferences panel before you send me
mail.  Thanks in advance.  The following two paragraphs should also help answer
a couple questions most people will have:

When NewsGrazer starts, it displays a browser of the available news groups.  If
you switch to List mode, you'll just get a list all of your subscribed groups
(unless you explicitly ask for all groups).  You can set the default mode
(Browser or List) in NewsGrazer Preferences.

When replying by mail, NewsGrazer will open a new Mail Send window and attempt
to place the article, etc. into that window.  If you have another Send window
on-screen, this info will get blasted into that send window (this is a Mail
bug).

Enjoy!!!

__jayson
NeXT Computer, Inc.

dlisoski@galcit.caltech.edu (Derek L. Lisoski) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr27.051355.947@balor.uucp>  writes:
> Thanks for the news reader. It's great. Really fun.

I second this

> One simple feature request: How about exporting articles to text files so I
can
> stuff them into my normal News archive. (Yeah, I can just copy and paste into
> an Edit file, I know).

I think you can do this...check out the "NewsFolders" under the "Tools" menu.
You can either archive them and use NewsGrazer to read them later, or you can
open them as text files - they are in the folder:
~/Library/NewsGrazer/Newsfolders/NewsFolderName/ArticleName.

Derek Lisoski
dlisoski@bluff.galcit.caltech.edu

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr27.065341.15545@nntp-server.caltech.edu> dlisoski@galcit.caltech.edu (Derek L. Lisoski) writes:
>In article <1991Apr27.051355.947@balor.uucp>  writes:
>> Thanks for the news reader. It's great. Really fun.
>
>I second this
>

>> One simple feature request: How about exporting articles to text files so I
>can
>> stuff them into my normal News archive. (Yeah, I can just copy and paste into
>> an Edit file, I know).
>
>I think you can do this...check out the "NewsFolders" under the "Tools" menu.
>You can either archive them and use NewsGrazer to read them later, or you can
>open them as text files - they are in the folder:
>~/Library/NewsGrazer/Newsfolders/NewsFolderName/ArticleName.

This isn't quite the behavior I want, but it turns out that
pretty much exactly the behavior I do want is already available
by a means so simple and obvious that I may have caused some
degree of brain damage in smacking myself on the forehead:
That cute little text file icon that appears when an article
is selected can be dragged away into a directory in the File
Viewer. Now why didn't I figure that out two seconds *before*
I posted, instead of two seconds *after*?

smk5@quads.uchicago.edu (stephen mortimer kramarsky) (04/28/91)

   Can anyone tell me if NewsGrazer works if your NeXT machine isn't on a
real network and you have to dial a remote machine which IS on internet
and get your mail that way?  I have to call the University Sun from home
to get both my mail and my News, but I'd dearly love to use NeXTStep to
do it!

  I'm sure this isn't possible for some painfully obvious reason,
 but I sure would be happy if it were!

  Thanx in advance,
     Steve Kramarsky   SMK5@quads.uchicago.edu

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr27.051355.947@balor.uucp>
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 27 Apr 91 05:13:55 GMT
   Sender: mikel@balor.uucp

   In article <580@rosie.NeXT.COM> surak@next.com (Jayson Adams) writes:
   > Hola,

   Thanks for the news reader. It's great. Really fun.

Is there some reason you decided to post without a "From:" line  in
your post?

   > Please let me know about any bugs you run across.  You can also ask me for
   > features, but don't expect them any time soon.

   One bug. Not reproducible yet. I was browsing news. I positioned
the

Gee folks. The writer of the app even gave you his email address so
you could send him email with all the detail about the bugs you found.
Why clog the net with this? Why not make your subject line: "I'd
rather blab about NewsGrazer bugs on the net" so our 'n' keys can have
a chance here!
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."