[comp.sys.next] comp.sys.next split

isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) (04/26/91)

In article <13631@ur-cc.UUCP> prie@escher.cc.rochester.edu (Tod Rieger) writes:

>     Periodically the urge to split up comp.sys.next raises
>its ugly head. And a little (friendly) sarcasm becomes
>necessary.

	[split suggestions deleted]

As I read the growing list of postings, I see more examples of postings that
might better be directed to another poster by using the "R" or "r" command
rather than to comp.sys.next by using "F" or "f".  Please consider this option
before automatically posting an article that might not be of general interest.
Those who are asking for help should summarize responses and post the summary.
This would cut down the traffic considerably.

On a slightly different matter, I have read several recent requests for files
to be sent.  Knowing the responsiveness of this group, such a request probably
results in many duplicate efforts and unnecessary use of bandwidth.  Instead,
why not ask for a list of those willing to send the large file needed, and then
asking only one of these volunteers to actually send the info (via email, not
another c.s.n. posting).

Splitting c.s.n. may eventually be necessary, but cross postings will increase
the number of articles posted, and those of us who don't want to miss any
NeXT-related news will be further burdened.  A little self discipline would go
a long way to reducing the traffic.
--
                                          _____   ____
Art Isbell                 |\   |         |    |  |   \   315 Moon Meadow Lane

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (04/29/91)

isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) writes:

>Splitting c.s.n. may eventually be necessary, but cross postings will increase
>the number of articles posted, and those of us who don't want to miss any
>NeXT-related news will be further burdened.

No, the number of articles posted would remain the same.  There is only one
copy of each article stored on the disc, with cross-references to the dif-
ferent groups in which is is cross-posted.  If you have a halfway decent news
system, this will only result in extra "links" made in the other groups.
And, if you have a halfway decent news reader, once you've read the message
in one group, it won't bother showing it to you in another group.

>A little self discipline would go a long way to reducing the traffic.

So will some decent news software!  Even B-news and rn work as above...

On the other hand, just THINK of all the messages (actually, threads) that
you'll NEVER see if you can completely ignore a whole category (or MORE) of
NeXT news that you really have no interest in (whatever that category or
categories might be).

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----