[comp.sys.next] NeXTConnection selling NeXT computers

crum@fcom.cc.utah.edu (Gary Crum) (04/24/91)

This is an unofficial proposal and evaluation of public interest.

Are people out there interested in the possibility of NeXTConnection
selling NeXT computers themselves and not just 3rd party products related
to NeXT computers?

It seems like a very interesting possibility, and "very prudent at
this juncture" given the excellent efficiency of NeXTConnection
(overnight shipping for $3, very kind and explicit order staff, etc.)
and also considering the new serivce arrangement with Motorola field
service centers, and the new NeXTedge technical support offering.  The
few retailers that NeXT is selling through now could take care of
those customers who are fundamentally against ordering computers by
mail.  And, the high efficiency and low prices of NeXTConnection could
even give college students competetive NeXT computer purchase
alternatives, for the cases where their bookstore policies are not the
greatest.

At this time, it's certainly more feasible for NeXT to sell through
NeXTConnection that it is for Apple to sell through MacConnection.

Please post followups here.  I don't want to administer a big vote on
this.

Gary

umcharl3@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Mike Charlton) (04/24/91)

There does seem to be some merit in such an idea.  For instance, as a student
of the University of Manitoba, I inquired as to the possibility of purchasing
a NeXT on educational discount (I can't afford the full retail price at the
moment), but unfortunately since NeXT can't find a distributer who is
willing to stock the NeXT in Winnipeg, they are unable to sell me one
on educational discount.  The NeXT people were very friendly on the phone
(though I never did get any email responses) and even asked me to look
out for a potential distributer in my area.  Unfortunately, Winnipeg is
full of computer philistines (:-)) and I couldn't convince anyone.  Having
a mail order route where I could purchase a system for less than
suggested retail price would be very handy (in fact I know of 3 or 4
people who would like to buy a NeXT, but don't have the $6000 Cdn
needed for the base NeXTStation).

                       Mike

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (04/25/91)

crum@fcom.cc.utah.edu (Gary Crum) writes:

>This is an unofficial proposal and evaluation of public interest.
>Are people out there interested in the possibility of NeXTConnection
>selling NeXT computers themselves and not just 3rd party products related
>to NeXT computers?

	Speaking as one who doesn't have access to organizational discounts,
if you can offer good service and a good deal, by all means do it. If you're
going to sell at, or close to, list, I'd just as soon buy local.

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

sulistio@sutro.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi) (04/25/91)

This is a good idea.  If people can not get edu. prices, and if they buy
from NeXTConnection, they don't have to pay tax!!!  Basic NeXTstation is
$5000.00 (non ed. price), if you buy in CA, you have to pay 7% tax =
$350.00.
--
Mul			    |  Alt. address: sulistio@futon.sfsu.edu
sulistio@sutro.sfsu.edu     |		     sulistio@sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.144611.556@nic.csu.net> sulistio@sutro.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi) writes:

>This is a good idea.  If people can not get edu. prices, and if they buy
>from NeXTConnection, they don't have to pay tax!!!  Basic NeXTstation is
>$5000.00 (non ed. price), if you buy in CA, you have to pay 7% tax =
>$350.00.

Word of caution: one must not use the net to advise others
to break the law.  States differ about this, but some
require (with or without various kinds of enforcement) you
to voluntarily pay your local sales taxes on purchases made
out of state.  Let each person do what he or she thinks best.

<> The only thing I regret about my past is the length of
<> it. If I had my life to live again, I'd make the same
<> mistakes, only sooner. -- Tallulah Bankhead
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

In article <1991Apr25.002303.3127@macc.wisc.edu>
	anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
>Word of caution: one must not use the net to advise others
>to break the law.  States differ about this, but some

It's illegal in Calfornia.

					-=EPS=-
--
But there's no state sales tax in Oregon.  :-)

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (04/25/91)

In article <303@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>crum@fcom.cc.utah.edu (Gary Crum) writes:
>
>>This is an unofficial proposal and evaluation of public interest.
>>Are people out there interested in the possibility of NeXTConnection
>>selling NeXT computers themselves and not just 3rd party products related
>>to NeXT computers?

  From NeXT's practical business standpoint, this would be a terrible
  idea.  They need to build up their dealer network to a reasonable
  level, and they're not going to get many takers if they expect their
  dealers to compete with officialy sanctioned mail order.  Notice
  that Apple and IBM don't go this route (well, IBM sells PS/1's at
  Sears, but that doesn't count since they're not Real (tm) computers:-)

  It's really too bad B'land couldn't make a go of selling the beasts.
  Now NeXT has to woo lots of regional dealers like Computer Attic
  to carry their products.

Don McGregor             | "I..I blame society.  Society made me
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu|  what I am."

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (04/25/91)

umcharl3@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Mike Charlton) writes:

> There does seem to be some merit in such an idea.  For instance, as a student
> of the University of Manitoba, I inquired as to the possibility of purchasing
> a NeXT on educational discount (I can't afford the full retail price at the
> moment), but unfortunately since NeXT can't find a distributer who is
> willing to stock the NeXT in Winnipeg, they are unable to sell me one
> on educational discount.  The NeXT people were very friendly on the phone
> (though I never did get any email responses) and even asked me to look
> out for a potential distributer in my area.  Unfortunately, Winnipeg is
> full of computer philistines (:-)) and I couldn't convince anyone.  Having
> a mail order route where I could purchase a system for less than
> suggested retail price would be very handy (in fact I know of 3 or 4
> people who would like to buy a NeXT, but don't have the $6000 Cdn
> needed for the base NeXTStation).
>
>                        Mike

$6000? I'm in Edmonton (we *are* in the same country, aren't we? :-) )
and I paid $4100 for my vanilla 105 slab. Are we talking about the same
machine, or are you thinking of something bigger (ie. 400M)?

-drin

Adrian Smith             ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

ems@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Ted Shelton) (04/26/91)

I think that NeXTConnection selling NeXT computers would be great --
I am an independent computer consultant and I am out recommending
NeXT to my clients all day long.  I talked to NeXT about selling
the computers myself but (rightly so) it is a big pain for a little
independent guy like me to get registered with NeXT to sell and
anyway I can't do the volume that NeXT would need to give me any
sort of reasonable price.  So I am reduced to sending my clients
to my competitors (the bigger consulting houses).  But if
NeXTConnection sold boxes I could have my clients buy from then and
I'd still be the guy that would install and maintain the boxes.

I vote YES.

Ted Shelton
ems@gsbsun.uchicago.edu

shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Shawn Broderick) (04/29/91)

A number of people have suggested this, and I personally think it
would be great for techies and developers who just need a box and
nobody behind it, but the concept doesn't really fit with NeXT's
direction so far.  Let's face it, it's a UNIX box.  It's hard enough
to support the thing with man pages and local help, just imagine what
a mail order company's support line would be like.  People like
Merisel dropped their UNIX line for some similar reasons.  Look at who
NeXT is signing on as retailers - they are very bright and quick folks
who NeXT feels can a) deal with the hardware and software (it's not a
Mac Classic) and b) are capable of understanding the market and
marketing that NeXT is involved in.

I would however be curious to see how the mail order folks who deal
SUN's and other UNIX boxes do.  I flip through Sun World (what a dumb
name change) and see many mail-order places - but the only people I
know who buy from them are techies.

My two cents.

Shawn Broderick
shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu