[comp.sys.next] NextStep -> X tranfer problem

ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jinmo Ahn) (04/24/91)

    I cannot return to X from NextStep after active use of a NS
application (e.g. nextmail). Double clicking of the X icon on the dock
will give me nothing.  Are you having the same problem??

    The dude who fixed mouse-X (from Columbia) said that he experienced
this situation only few times.  But, for me it seems to be happening
about 60% of the time.  I cannot even get X clients to go away w/out
rebooting.  A re-log will still have all of Xclients preserved.

What gives?

Jim

ja2f @andrew.cmu.edu (Jinmo Ahn) (04/24/91)

    I cannot return to X from NextStep after active use of a NS
application (e.g. nextmail). Double clicking of PaP icon on the dock
will give me nothing.  Are you having the tuatproblem??

    The dude who fixed ms a 1i-X (from Columbia) said that he experienced
this situation only f0*Mabout 60% of the time.  I cannot even get X clients to go away w/out
rebooting.  A re-log will still have all of Xclients preserved.

What gives?

Jim
#! rnews 1361
.ucds-server.csri.toronto.eduics.utexas.edu!uunet!stanford.edu!lucid.com!campeau!jwz
From: jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski)
Newsgroups: comp.lan

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/26/91)

In article <kc5F2US00WBMI2sFIB@andrew.cmu.edu> ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jinmo Ahn) writes:

]
]       I cannot return to X from NextStep after active use of a NS
]   application (e.g. nextmail). Double clicking of the X icon on the dock
]   will give me nothing.  Are you having the same problem??

Clicking on the dock icon tries to start up another X servers (look at
the console window for error messages!).
The way to return is to click on the (often hidden) icon of X
somewhere in your workspace.  Occasionally it takes a while to get the
twm menus back after a round trip.

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) (04/29/91)

For times when I need to just kill the entire X apparatus, when it gets stuck,
I just wrote the following script, which I set to setuid root:

#!/bin/sh
kill -9 `ps aux | grep 'X -MachLaunch' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`
kill -9 `ps aux | grep XNeXT | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`
sleep 10
showcurs

This kills off everything and lets you start over.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Douglas Scott          Columbia University Computer Music Studio
Internet: <doug@woof.columbia.edu> <das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>
UUCP: ...!columbia!woof!zardoz!doug          Phone: (703)765-4771

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr28.203959.13420@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) writes:
>For times when I need to just kill the entire X apparatus, when it gets stuck,
>I just wrote the following script, which I set to setuid root:

     The setuid root part shouldn't have any effect, so if it works,
then you don't need it.  setuid is ignored for shell scripts.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Spent a little time on the mountain, Spent a little time on the  *
*   Hill, The things that went down you don't understand, But I      *
*   think in time you will."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time      *
*  since 25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)  *

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr29.022737.19106@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott
Bennett) writes:
> In article <1991Apr28.203959.13420@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) writes:
> >For times when I need to just kill the entire X apparatus, when it gets
stuck,
> >I just wrote the following script, which I set to setuid root:
> >
>      The setuid root part shouldn't have any effect, so if it works,
> then you don't need it.  setuid is ignored for shell scripts.

	Sorry Scott, you're wrong on this one. My whole /usr/adm/* directory says
you're wrong. Setuid is ignored on /bin/sh scripts, I think, but not on
/bin/csh.
	Setuid scripts *are* a security hazard, but they do exist.

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr29.041036.5734@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
> Setuid is ignored on /bin/sh scripts, I think, but not on /bin/csh.

It's not ignored on /bin/sh scripts either -- I verified this.
--
DdJ

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.041036.5734@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>In article <1991Apr29.022737.19106@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott
>Bennett) writes:
>> In article <1991Apr28.203959.13420@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
>das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) writes:
>> >For times when I need to just kill the entire X apparatus, when it gets
>stuck,
>> >I just wrote the following script, which I set to setuid root:
>> >
>>      The setuid root part shouldn't have any effect, so if it works,
>> then you don't need it.  setuid is ignored for shell scripts.
>
>	Sorry Scott, you're wrong on this one. My whole /usr/adm/* directory says
>ou're wrong. Setuid is ignored on /bin/sh scripts, I think, but not on
>/bin/csh.

     So I have been informed by Doug deJulio <ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu>.
My understanding was that UCB had closed this hole in 4.3BSD.  Either
that is not true or NeXT has reopened it.
     This is from what I last sent Doug:

     It's not a problem if there are no shell scripts on a system that
have the suid bit on.  It is a problem on the NeXT unless and until
there is a loudly marked description of the hole and how it could be
abused in the NeXT documentation (e.g. the _Network_and_System_Adminis-
tration_Manual_), so that individual NeXT users could decide for themselves
whether they wished to have suid scripts lying around on their systems.
     From the point of view of a network administrator, one might worry
about the possibility that a workstation user could have suid scripts
for various userid's that one wouldn't want breached, like uucp, root,
operator, and so on, because of the potential hazard to the rest of
the systems on one's network.

>	Setuid scripts *are* a security hazard, but they do exist.

     Unfortunately, that appears to be the case.  I certainly hope
NeXT will do something about it quickly.  Documenting it in international
orange would be a good first step.  Closing the hole in later releases
of the operating system would be a good followup.