[comp.sys.next] Bash 1.05 as login shell on NeXT Mach 2.0

rearl@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Robert Earl) (04/29/91)

I recently compiled and installed bash 1.05 (including some bug fixes)
and then tried to make it my login shell.  I tried to test it out with
an rlogin from a remote host and never got a prompt; I checked the
process from another terminal and it was using 95% CPU, and wasn't
connected to a controlling tty!

I tried telnetting there instead of rlogin, and got logged in okay,
but I noticed errors from my init files such as "ioctl: operation not
supported on socket", plus lots of "command not found".  I inspected
my environment variables, and they appeared to contain garbage, much
like text that is output *by my .login*!!

I removed my init files (both for bash AND csh), and rlogin still does
the same thing.  Telnet works okay, but from the errors my init files
produced, it sounds like it's having a little trouble attaching the
shell to a tty, plus a little trouble not sourcing my .login under a
non-c-shell.  Any ideas?

--robert
--
rearl@gnu.ai.mit.edu
rearl@watnxt3.ucr.edu

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (04/30/91)

In article <REARL.91Apr29114234@nutrimat.gnu.ai.mit.edu> rearl@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Robert Earl) writes:
>I recently compiled and installed bash 1.05 (including some bug fixes)
>and then tried to make it my login shell.  I tried to test it out with
>an rlogin from a remote host and never got a prompt; I checked the
>process from another terminal and it was using 95% CPU, and wasn't
>connected to a controlling tty!

This sounds similar to the error reported by pmy@vivaldi.acc.virginia.edu
(Pete Yadlowsky) about using more under ksh via rlogin to a NeXT work station.

The error is in rlogind, which fails to set a process group number for the
shell it invokes.  Apparently this doesn't bother csh, which must supply a
process group number if none is set.  Ksh doesn't, and probably the same
is true for bash.

I submitted my tentative fix to ksh-i-88f to David Korn and he answered
with a better suggestion -- he had already come across the problem on an
Alliant and had an #ifdef'd fix.  That fix also works for NeXTStep 2.0.

The fix involves reading the process group ID with getpgrp(0).  If it is
zero, it should be set to the process group ID that is obtained with the
TIOCGPRGRP ioctl.

Vic Abell <abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu>

rearl@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Robert Earl) (04/30/91)

In article <7352@mace.cc.purdue.edu> abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) writes:
|   In article <REARL.91Apr29114234@nutrimat.gnu.ai.mit.edu> rearl@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Robert Earl) writes:
|   >I recently compiled and installed bash 1.05 (including some bug fixes)
|   >and then tried to make it my login shell.  I tried to test it out with
|   >an rlogin from a remote host and never got a prompt; I checked the
|   >process from another terminal and it was using 95% CPU, and wasn't
|   >connected to a controlling tty!
|
|   The error is in rlogind, which fails to set a process group number for the
|   shell it invokes.  Apparently this doesn't bother csh, which must supply a
|   process group number if none is set.  Ksh doesn't, and probably the same
|   is true for bash.

Vic's solution has solved about half my problem so far.  He also
mentioned using TIOCSPGRP to set the tty process group and I added
that [after I found the following :(].  I can get a shell but the
errors from stty and output of ps indicate bash hasn't connected to a
tty yet.  So whatnext?  (Err, no pun intended :)

rearl@watnxt3[3]% /bin/ps ux
USER       PID  %CPU %MEM VSIZE RSIZE TT STAT  TIME COMMAND
rearl    16271   2.8  6.2 1.88M  512K ?  S     0:05 -fixed-bash (fixed-bash)
rearl    15783   0.0  6.7 2.19M  552K p2 S     0:20 emacs
rearl    14610   0.0  1.0 1.34M   80K p2 SW    0:02 -csh (csh)
rearl@watnxt3[6]% /usr/bin/tty
/dev/ttypb

Thanks to Vic, and thanx in advance to anyone who can help me out
further here.

--robert
--
rearl@gnu.ai.mit.edu
rearl@watnxt3.ucr.edu

simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) (04/30/91)

Try using Bash 1.07, available from sonata.cc.purdue.edu

    Internet:      simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu
    Othernet:      simmons@hoofers.lake.mendota

According to the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, the one thing we
 *cannot* afford to have is a sense of perspective.