[comp.sys.next] DPS vs X11

cmaeda@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Christopher Maeda) (04/30/91)

In article <BB.91Apr29212835@leadbelly.math.ufl.edu>, bb@math.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) writes:

> At a local Sun presentation about 6 months ago, Sun was demoing the
> OpenWhatever windowing system.  This window system understands
> PostScript a'la NeWS as well as X.  The rep stated that they ran an X
> version of Framemaker over Ethernet at the same time as a PostScript
> version over a 9600 baud serial line.  The rep stated that both
> applications had about the same interactive performance.

This doesn't really mean anything.  Were they running the framemaker
jobs on the same host?  Did they snoop the ethernet cable to see how
many packets the X job was generating and what the load on the network
was for those packets?  How did they measure the response time for each
process?  My personal experience is that X over an ethernet is much
faster than even a tty at 9600 baud.

--
Chris Maeda, Grad Student from Hell     |Mail:	cmaeda@cs.cmu.edu
  care bear				|UUCP:  get a real mailer