[comp.sys.next] Framemaker

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (12/24/90)

In article <MDIXON.90Dec21152507@thelonius.parc.xerox.com> mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) writes:

>    a) framemaker 2.0a will *not* run under nextstep 2.0, but
>
>    b) if you're a registered customer and mail them an OD before jan
>       25, they'll mail you back a free copy of 2.0d, which *does* run
>       under nextstep 2.0

mmm... I have a 2.0 licenced copy, I wonder if I can too send in an OD
and get 2.0d?

BTW, how many people who bought their cube around Jun/July 90 and receive
their upgrade kit already?

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu   o Q. Who am I?
				o A. A NeXTed person with "small" HD and OD
     I am "homeless"!?		o    An Apple // guy
	(No Kidding)		o    A plane pilot (by hope)

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (04/30/91)

  Well, it seems I made a bad purchase decision when I got FrameMaker. It's
a great, powerful program--I just can't afford the upkeep. Kinda like
inheriting a mansion. I just found out that the upgrade to 3.0 will cost me
$300--and that only if I act "now". I took out a loan to get my computer,
and thought I'd be all set with FrameMaker, but my wallet's suffering bad.
I'm a person, not a corporation. I can't afford 1/3 again the list price of
a product to upgrade. I haven't even had much of a chance to try FrameMaker
out (busy term)....sigh.
  If anyone wants to buy it (version 2.0d), let me know. I'd like $300 for
the program itself (willing to lose $200). You'd still be stuck with the
upgrade cost: $300 more if you act "now". Not much I can do about that part.
  Yes, I am a student and got the educational discount (for the curious).

  Please read all pending messages before mailing me an offer; I'll post if
and when I sell it, you neither of us will have to mail back and forth....

  Thanks for your time.

--
/ Nik Gervae aka dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu | "It'll be finished next week, \
| CS/Linguistics stud. & NeRD at UM (go blow) | I promise!"--me               |

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.165544.24045@engin.umich.edu> dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) writes:

[high cost of FrameMaker upgrade(claims it is $300)]

According to the people at Frame, and I do not have this in writing,
FrameMaker3.0 will be released for the NeXT in the fall. The upgrade
fee from 2.0d to 3.0 will be $150. The $300 you are referring to
is for the upgrade to 3.0, technical support for a year and a free
upgrade to any other upgrades which Frame may put out during the year.
That is, you are buying a support agreement.

This brings up an important point that is always overlooked when people
talk about higher end computers( and I'm including Mac's and 386's here,
but especially workstations). The actually cost of the computer may be
low. What will do you in is maintenance, software upgrades,etc...This is
often conveniently not mentioned by workstation vendors, and is one of the
reasons why many of us prefer a plain terminal or any inexpensive
micro. That being said, the NeXT's software costs are quite reasonable
for a computer offering that sort of power. I still feel it is too
expensive a platform for students.

As for 386's, there is a program called Gauss 386 version 2.1. It is
an array based language with some pretty good presentation graphics.
I just received their price list. Keep in mind this is 386 specific and
is a powerful program. Retail cost=$695. Education( with a p.o.) $495.
If you want virtual memory support add $300 dollars to the price.
Upgrades: Gauss386ver2.0 to ver2.1=$150 . Gauss3862.1 to Gauss3862.1 with
added support for virtual memory: $295. Also the 8086/80286 version
of Gauss( 2.1) costs $345(with a p.o.). The upgrade to Gauss386ver2.1
from this is $200. Finally to go from Gauss2.0 to Gauss2.1 is $150 which
is more than 1/2 the price of the program.

The point is that one way or another, the computing industry is going to
get your money!

Philip McDunnough
Professor of Statistics
University of Toronto

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.180525.28235@utstat.uucp>
philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>According to the people at Frame, and I do not have this in writing,
>FrameMaker3.0 will be released for the NeXT in the fall.

I spoke to Frame on the phone about 3.5 weeks ago, and I asked
specifically if 3.0 for NeXT was shipping *now*, and they said
yes.  On the strength of that, I ordered it.  We'll see what
comes, won't we?

<> There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the
<> whole government working for you. -- Will Rodgers
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (05/01/91)

  No more letters on my FrameMaker please. I have offers and additional
info to consider. [The fellow from Frame on the phone never mentioned any
upgrade only deal. That'll teach me to ask the right questions when someone
calls me up with "an offer I can't refuse". ;-)]

  And I guess I did underestimate the gotchas involved in software maintenance.
1/3 again the price of a (fairly expensive to begin with) program seemed a bit
on the ridiculous side, though....