[comp.sys.next] Who's doing what at ESL?

kevinh@cmi.com (Kevin Hegg) (04/17/91)

ESL does a lot of classified work and this may account for their lack of
response to your question.

Kevin Hegg, EDS Corp - Center for Machine Intelligence
2001 Commonwealth Blvd., Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105
Phone: (313) 995-0900  Internet: kevinh@cmi.com   Applelink: D5990

thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark R. Thomsen) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr9.224224.22619@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T.
Nelson) writes:
> Anyway, I wanted to ask one more question.  I know that ESL uses
> NeXT's rather heavily.  Is there anyone out there at ESL who reads
> this bboard?  Could you send me some info on what you folks do on
> NeXT's?  I'm trying to get an idea of what sort of work is being done
> in the corporate environment as well as in the LISP world on the NeXT.
>
> So thanks again and keep those responses coming!

ESL, and the wholly owning TRW, are doing some work with NeXT as registered
developers and, in ESL's case, as a 'federal system integrator'.  This
is not a secret - it has been put out to the press.

In addition to spacecraft, electronics, and such both ESL and the folks
here in Redondo Beach do a lot of software and systems.  This includes
practically countless custom workstations.  Because of a wide variety
of customers (mostly in government) and available technologies, we use
practically every workstation on the market.  NeXT happens to be a
current hot button because of price/performance (it is pretty well
#1 for the ratio of what you get and perform vs. cost), because of
advanced development environment, because of Unix compatibility,
and because of the ease of integrating lots of applications.

Both ESL and my division have been involved with NeXT for over two
years.  The relationship has been very positive and is becoming
fruitful.  There have been postings here (I just recently started
reading this again ... so much time!) on varying (dis)satisfaction
with NeXT Inc.'s customer service.  From our perspective it is
fantastic - they are responsive, informative, ready to go beyond
expectations we have developed from interactions with other vendors,
and willing to share the vision.  This included an early color NeXT
system here last spring as precursor to NeXTdimension.  Though quite
unusual and certainly not a common experience, it does show that
they will bend over backwards when both sides will benefit (we did
a good job debugging parts of V2.0 and the color technology and
we got to present a wildly successful customer demonstration).

I expect that aerospace and government research labs will be a
significant market for NeXT in future years.  In these markets
we build and integrate state-of-the-art applications for mortal
users (not scientists or trained engineers).  A 'Unix system for
mere mortals' is important.  Motif is gaining attention, but the
long term future indicates that NeXT will be a player.

I hope that this provides an answer to your question.  I do not
know if my friends at ESL are on this net.

Mark R. Thomsen