[comp.sys.next] NeXT's,Disks and Magic

anne@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Anneliese Lilje) (04/20/91)

I am interested...

When my NeXT Cube boots, it looks for all it's SCSI devices,
locates them and then reports back information about the device.

For example...

We have an Andataco 1.2 GByte SCSI drive (Wren VII). When it
boots it displays something like:

Name of Disk and Model Number, as sd0 at sc0 target 1 lun 0

There is NO disktab entry for this drive on my system (yet).

So what magical thing does the NeXT do to grab this information?

Also, when I use build disk on the drive, it seems to understand the
information above and then makes some magic assumptions about
disk geometry when it formats the disk. Could someone explain to me
HOW it makes these assumptions about disk geometry.

Please send e-mail if possible:

anne@trixie.caltech.edu

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (04/29/91)

pvo@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill) writes:

> In article <1991Apr19.174923.4113@nntp-server.caltech.edu> anne@nntp-server.c
> >
> >We have an Andataco 1.2 GByte SCSI drive (Wren VII). When it
> >boots it displays something like:
> >
> >Name of Disk and Model Number, as sd0 at sc0 target 1 lun 0
> >
> >There is NO disktab entry for this drive on my system (yet).
> >So what magical thing does the NeXT do to grab this information?
>
> Who knows?  But it's pretty cute and it's the reason I've abandoned my
> project to collect and make available disktab entries for 3rd party drives.

Isn't the machine just performing a low-level SCSI MODE SENSE command?
I'm by no means a SCSI or NeXTpert, but in our travails of the past two
months getting our external Micropolis up on a slab, we learned a few
things about SCSI. According to what I understand, the machine toggles
all devices on the bus (which must support rev 17b of the SCSI command
set) with a MODE SENSE command. The devices then respond with their
configuration, which includes their manufacturer name, their size in
bytes, and a bunch of other goodies, which the NeXT mostly ignores. The
slab then returns this information, along with the appropriate device
numbers, sd numbers, and lun numbers.

(At least, I *think* that's how it works)

-drin

Disclaimer: How can I speak for anyone? I don't *work* for anyone!!

Adrian Smith             ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

pvo@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr19.174923.4113@nntp-server.caltech.edu> anne@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Anneliese Lilje) writes:

>We have an Andataco 1.2 GByte SCSI drive (Wren VII). When it
>boots it displays something like:
>
>Name of Disk and Model Number, as sd0 at sc0 target 1 lun 0
>
>There is NO disktab entry for this drive on my system (yet).
>So what magical thing does the NeXT do to grab this information?

Who knows?  But it's pretty cute and it's the reason I've abandoned my
project to collect and make available disktab entries for 3rd party drives.

Basically, you can slave for hours optimizing a disktab entry and this
automatic stuff that 2.0 does comes up within a couple of Megs of your
optimized stuff.  Not worth it.

Paul O'Neill--Coastal Imaging Lab	pvo@oce.orst.edu	DoD 000006
OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY
OCEANOGRAPHY ADMIN BLDG 104