[comp.sys.next] imperfections in WordPerfect?

silbar@mpx2.lampf.lanl.gov (SILBAR, RICHARD R.) (04/30/91)

I recently got WordPerfect installed, finally.  Has anyone else noticed
that you can't (i.e., I can't) set the font in the Font Panel to come
out in greeks and math in the text window?  So, other than going painfully
into the extended character fonts and doing things 1 character at a time,
how does one type equations efficiently?  Along these same lines, I seem
to recall seeing a PC version of WordPerfect that had a very nice
Equation Interface (sort of like Draw with a palette and stuff); there
appears not to be any such thing with the NeXT version.

   Dick Silbar

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (04/30/91)

In article <22853@lanl.gov> silbar@mpx2.lampf.lanl.gov (SILBAR, RICHARD R.) writes:
   I recently got WordPerfect installed, finally.

and then writes

   I seem
   to recall seeing a PC version of WordPerfect that had a very nice
   Equation Interface (sort of like Draw with a palette and stuff); there
   appears not to be any such thing with the NeXT version.

Isn't the equation package part of WP 5.1? The WP for the NeXT is
version 5.0.

--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

sritchie@cs.ubc.ca (Stuart Ritchie) (04/30/91)

I haven't played with the Math stuff, so I can't comment on that.

But I have tried printing, and boy is it slow.  I'd say it's
about 10 times slower than printing from any other program.
And that doesn't include graphics.  On the 8MB slab I use,
printing a 5 page document drove the load up beyond 6.00.  And
it seemed to take forever.

Also, on some occasions, it has printed duplicate pages, out of
order pages and does strange stuff with graphics sometimes.  For
example, I had a page with an EPS graphic imported from Diagram.
The page was printed without the graphic, followed by the graphic
on its own blank page.  And then pages that already had been
printed started coming out.

One time I was notified of PostScript errors.  I this case, the
document also had an EPS graphic included.  Without the graphic,
the document printed fine.  And within Diagram, the graphic printed
fine.  Putting them together in WordPerfect produced flakey PS code.
And what's worse -- I was unable to duplicate the problem.

Despite these problems I have experienced, I will definitely
continue to use the program.  For my use, the graphics capabilities
alone are worth it over WriteNow.

Maybe they're bugs, or maybe I'm just out in left field.

..Stuart

In article <1991Apr29.202315.13781@cs.ubc.ca> sritchie@cs.ubc.ca (Stuart Ritchie) writes:
   I haven't played with the Math stuff, so I can't comment on that.
   But I have tried printing, and boy is it slow.

fixed in 2.1

streib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Allan Streib) (04/30/91)

In article <CNH5730.91Apr29140903@maraba.tamu.edu>
cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu writes:

>Isn't the equation package part of WP 5.1? The WP for the NeXT is
>version 5.0.

I don't know what version WP is avail for NeXT, but it is correct that
equations were added in 5.1 in the PC version.

-Allan

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/30/91)

Postscript printing in Wordperfect (particularly with graphics) is
slow on PC's and Macintoshes too.  I have only seen a demo in NeXT and
Dick Silbar's objection (missing greek-math mode) will make me think
twice before I sepnd any money on it. Back to emacs+TeX ?

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (05/01/91)

In article <CNH5730.91Apr29140903@maraba.tamu.edu>, cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu writes:
> In article <22853@lanl.gov> silbar@mpx2.lampf.lanl.gov (SILBAR, RICHARD R.) writes:
>    I recently got WordPerfect installed, finally.
>
> and then writes
>
>    I seem
>    to recall seeing a PC version of WordPerfect that had a very nice
>    Equation Interface (sort of like Draw with a palette and stuff); there
>    appears not to be any such thing with the NeXT version.
>
> Isn't the equation package part of WP 5.1? The WP for the NeXT is
> version 5.0.
>
> --
> "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
>  and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
> 	-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Here is the story as I heard it at a NeXT users group meeting right after WP
for the NeXT came out.  It is probably partially true.

WP for the NeXT is compatable with the 5.0 version on the PC.  It has features
similar to the 5.0 version and is file compatable with 5.0 and for the most
part with 5.1.  If a 5.1 file is read by NeXT WP the features that it does not
support will be retained in the document but not displayed in editable format,
if it can be displayed at all.  The missing features return when the document
reaches a version of a document that does support it.  Version 5.0 introduced a
new file format that could be extended without causing problems for older
versions.  A completely 5.1 compatable version of WP would be released after
the work on the other UNIX versions of WP caught up with the current releases
on other platforms.  We were all told that WP is trying to bring all their
platforms to roughly the same point to provide a seemless multi-vendor
electronic office.

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

bb@math.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.003844.21106@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>
streib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Allan Streib) writes:

> I don't know what version WP is avail for NeXT, but it is correct that
> equations were added in 5.1 in the PC version.

I've played with WP for the NeXT on an '030 cube and I give it a
double thumbs-down.  It claims to be version "1.0" so who knows
exactly what features it contains.  I loaded the PC 5.1 printer test
file and noticed that most, but not all, of the items on that page
were displayed correctly.  Also, it was unbelievably slow.  Running
the PC version of 5.1 under a beta copy of SoftPC was arguably faster
than running the native NeXT version.  When I clicked below the scroll
bar to show me the bottom third of the page on the single-page printer
test document, it took *seconds* to scroll.

My vote?  Stick to WriteNow and Framemaker.

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bb