[comp.sys.next] NeXT's for the visually impaired

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/26/91)

Can the fonts in the menus, etc. be enlarged for the visually
impaired?

-Mike

madler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (04/26/91)

In article <4x2G5z-y1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>Can the fonts in the menus, etc. be enlarged for the visually
>impaired?

Or for the next-hooked-up-to-pretty-bad-video-projector-impaired,
for that matter.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (04/26/91)

In article <4x2G5z-y1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
   Can the fonts in the menus, etc. be enlarged for the visually
   impaired?

have you tried the app Magify, which is on the archives?
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

scott@texnext.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (04/27/91)

In article <CNH5730.91Apr26113504@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu writes:
   In article <4x2G5z-y1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
      Can the fonts in the menus, etc. be enlarged for the visually
      impaired?

   have you tried the app Magify, which is on the archives?

Only a partial solution at best.  If people who can't see so well
have to spend all their time dragging a box to what they want to
see, they probably won't enjoy the NeXT too much!  Besides, Magnify
magnifies the pixels.  If you've 12-point Helvetica, you'd much
rather look at 24-point Helvetica than 2x magnified 12-point . . .

The answer to the original question is:  No, not so far as I can
tell.  Apparently, the sizes of the fonts on menus and window
titlebars is hardwired into the AppKit.  That's bad if you don't
see so well anymore, but it makes it alot easier to arrange the
stuff.  For instance, if the default font size were changed
(from 12-point Helvetica to something else), that would skew
all the carefully arranged buttons and windows and browsers
and Info Panels because they'd all now need more space/cell.
That basically means that I don't see a good solution anytime
soon.  Except maybe a bigger monitor . . .

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

cmac@gehenna (Chris MacAskill) (05/01/91)

writes:
>   Can the fonts in the menus, etc. be enlarged for the visually
>   impaired?

This is a good and important question.  We went to a conference on technology
for the disabled a few weeks ago to learn what we should be doing to make the
machines more accessible, and we heard this suggestion a few times.

You can customize the font size and style in the File Viewer, making it easier
to read.  We set the font at 18 point Helvetica bold at the conference and it
seemed to help.

We're working on customized font sizes for the menus as well.  There are many
considerations, as Scott Hess mentioned in an earlier posting, and I can't say
for sure what release will have this feature, if any (standard disclaimer), but
we do think we're working towards a good solution.

Finally, applications like Magnify, (from a developer at Stanford) allow a low
vision user to inspect other areas of the screen that don't necessarily lend
themselves to resizable fonts (details about icons, dialog boxes, etc.).
Currently this app does not support color, but the sources can be obtained by
anonymous ftp from cs.orst.edu.  I doubt if it would require much work to make
it work on the color products.

As a personal aside, it was gratifying to see so many vendors willing to work
together at the conference for the disabled to help make all computers more
accessible.  There were really great people there giving their own time to
develop innovative and useful technologies.

Chris MacAskill
cmac@next.com
(I will be away from email for the next two days.)