[comp.sys.next] SCSI Disks

jami@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (jami montgomery) (03/20/89)

Did anyone see the posting of some HARD DISK drive for sale at
a dirt cheap prices. The drives were from NEWBURY. They had some
SCSI DRIVES for what I thought was a great price with a 1yr. warranty.
What I like to Know is will any of those SCSI DRIVES work with the NeXT
If the cube uses a SCSI adapter then the DIRVES should work, right or wrong?
Some of the SCSI drives are listed below.
MODEL		CAP.		ACCESS		INTER.		PRICE
NDR3170		170MB		28ms		SCSI		895.00
NDR3280		280MB		28ms		SCSI		995.00
NDR3380		380MB		28ms		SCSI	       1095.00
NDR4175s	170MB		19ms		SCSI	        995.00
NDR4380s	380MB		19ms		SCSI	       1395.00

O.K. you Nextperts fill me in please, since I can't afford the 300mb drive
that next's offers.
	thanks jami.
No flames (sigh) I new at this.
			jami@jolnet.orpk.il.us

Q3885@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Immordino Phillip M.) (03/22/89)

In article <312@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, jami@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (jami montgomery) writes:

>Did anyone see the posting of some HARD DISK drive for sale at
>a dirt cheap prices. The drives were from NEWBURY. They had some
>SCSI DRIVES for what I thought was a great price with a 1yr. warranty.
>What I like to Know is will any of those SCSI DRIVES work with the NeXT
>If the cube uses a SCSI adapter then the DIRVES should work, right or wrong?

   Yes, you are correct to a certain extent.  I have not ever put another brand
 (NeXT uses Maxtor) in a NeXT machine, but it should work.  In fact I attended
 a NeXT service repair camp in Santa Clara, CA sometime in January and was told
 that they had tested Macintosh SCSI hard drives and found no problems.
 (Apple uses Seagate, Rodime and Miniscribe hard drives).
 They hooked them up using Apple SCSI port to external SC drive cable.
 You are probably going to mount internally, so you will need a ??-pin ribbon
 cable (available from apple and others).  Make sure that if the drive is
 mounted internally that is fully terminated and set fro SCSI select 0.
 You might want to wait until 0.9 software release comes out.  I believe it
 has better SCSI support.  This is just in case you run into any problems.

 (More notes on 0.9)
    NeXT is going to offer support for non-next laser printers
    It should be out in May 89.

                                                  Phil Immordino
                                                  Princeton University
                                                  Computing and Information
                                                  Technology
                                                  Technical Support

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (03/22/89)

In article <7597@pucc.Princeton.EDU> Q3885@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
> I have not ever put another brand (NeXT uses Maxtor) in a NeXT machine,...
>
>                                                  Phil Immordino
>                                                  Princeton University

I, just this minute, finished installing a third party drive into my NeXT
with only minor problems. I have installed a CDC Imprimis Wren V (is that
the right order?) 638 MB SCSI drive. The first problem was the IBMish looking
front plate that came on the drive was about a 1/4" too wide to properly
mount in the casing. Once we were able to pry the glued-on plate off, the
drive easily slid into the casing and the next task was to find 4 mounting
screws (trivial). We then plugged everything in according to our intuitions
(it wasn't too hard to figure which plug went in which slot. We then put
everything back together and set down to writing a /etc/disktab.
The writing of the disktab was the difficult part and there is a lot of
information that I was not sure about. I was only able to set up two
partitions and even then I had to do a lot of tweeking of the disktab to get
it to work correctly. I was only able to get 573 MB out of the drive and am
sure I am not using the drive to its full capacity. If anyone has a good
disktab for the Wren V (CDC 94181-638) could you please send it to me?

BTW, The drive is a GREAT improvement over the optical (and at a price that
is fantastic)!!

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@hobbes.cs.orst.edu

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/15/90)

Can I stick just any old SCSI disks into a NeXT cube?  What sort of formatting
software comes with the NeXT?  What drives are recommended?  Anybody know
of a location for inexpensive, good drives (the eternal search for great
products at no cost 8-)?

			Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

pmark@calliope.harvard.EDU (Peter Mark) (05/01/91)

Hi.  I've got a chance to purchase some used SCSI drives and need to know if
they will work with my slab.  The model numbers are:

	* CDC Imprimis 94171-307MB Full Height
	* Micropolis 1578-15 324MB Full Height
	* Maxtor XT3280 225MB Full Height

The prices on the drives is real good, but after reading some of the 3rd party
nightmare stories, I'd like some confidence that they will work before I buy it.
If anyone has had any NeXT-related experience with the drive, I'd appreciate your
comments.

	Thanks,
		Peter Mark
		pmark@calliope.harvard.edu