[comp.sys.next] Sending Mail without an ethernet link

lasteve@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Steven D Borrelli) (05/01/91)

I have just got MailService, and it's a great program! Thanks to Eric Celeste. I have one problem now. How do I send NeXTmail back to the sender? My only link to the internet world is a direct line to my school's mainframe. I'm in love with NeXTmail and I am would love to use it all of the time.

Steven D. Borrelli  (send some NeXTmail!..even if I can't reply just yet)
lasteve@rpi.edu

smk5@quads.uchicago.edu (stephen mortimer kramarsky) (05/01/91)

In article <#f1gsn+@rpi.edu> lasteve@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Steven D Borrelli) writes:
>I have just got MailService, and it's a great program! Thanks to Eric Celeste. I have one problem now. How do I send NeXTmail back to the sender? My only link to the internet world is a direct line to my school's mainframe. I'm in love with NeXTmail and I am would love to use it all of the time.
>
>Steven D. Borrelli  (send some NeXTmail!..even if I can't reply just yet)
>lasteve@rpi.edu

I would also be interested in any information about using my NeXT to read
and send mail on remote machines.  I have MailService which is very
nice but it seems to hack off the sender (Always sets it to From: <my_
accont_name>).  I'd also like to know about reading News from a remote
machine if that's possible.
  I think these topics are of sufficient general iterest that they could
be discussed here w/out wasting bandwidth, but if not, please just
send me e-mail.

 Thanx,
  Steve Kramarsky SMK5@quads.uchicago.edu

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/02/91)

In article <#f1gsn+@rpi.edu>
           lasteve@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Steven D Borrelli) writes:
> I have just got MailService, and it's a great program!
> Thanks to Eric Celeste. I have one problem now. How do I
> send NeXTmail back to the sender? My only link to the
> internet world is a direct line to my school's mainframe.

Hmm, I haven't tried this, but it seems to me that you should be able to fake
things out.  Create a dummy account on your NeXT, and send from your real
account to the dummy account.  Then poke around in the mail directory of that
dummy account to find your message.  Upload the text of the message as a file
to the mainframe (using Kermit, for instance), and then send a message using
that file as input.

Sounds like a bit of work, but given some kind of script it might not be too
onerous.  I doubt I'll get around to trying anything like that today, but if no
one else tries it I'll see if I can make it work sometime later this week.

Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA