[comp.sys.next] printer accounting

sstanfie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (skot) (02/03/90)

We need a way to set up accounting for the NeXT Laser Printer.

Since the Information Systems dept. can't afford to let people print for
free, they've come up with the following scheme.  A student purchases
a card ($10) good for 400 pages.  To print, the user must go to the lab
monitor, get the printer paper tray, print, then have the monitor count
the number of pages used, then decrement the value of the card.  Kludge.

Vendacard came up with an electronic credit-card type way for mac's and
hp's but the architecture of the NeXT laser printer doesn't lend itself to
this method.

Is there a way to do this kind of accounting through software?  It seems
that if np, or lpr knew how many pages were being printed, some hack could be
done.

Thanks!

--
<<<     sstanfie@polyslo.calpoly.edu
-/-    	NeXT Campus Consultant

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (02/03/90)

In article <25c9ee4a.5d42@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> sstanfie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (skot) writes:

>We need a way to set up accounting for the NeXT Laser Printer.
>
>Is there a way to do this kind of accounting through software?

YES! We have the same problem. Here's what we do:

We have toyed with the idea of putting the Vendacard product on
MAC LaserWriters and connecting them to the cubes we use as print-
servers. This is fine for normal things except for high end
Mathmatica graphics which really need the 400 dpi. For this
case we use "/usr/etc/pac." Check out the man page for pac
in the DL. We set the price with the -p switch and debit the
user's Vendacard when they return.

I too am sorry we have to charge the students, but this works
for us. Let me know how it goes.

Now, I have another plea. Has anyone managed to implement QUOTAS
and QUOTAD on the cube. I knoew it's specifically commented
as not being supported in the rc scripts, but WE REALLY NEED IT!
So, if anyonew has any info they'd like to share on how it might
be done, I'm all ears. We really need a way of keepiing the file-
systems under a "controlled" growth pattern. Thanks in advance!

Roger Jagoda
FQOJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
Cornell University

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (02/03/90)

sstanfie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (skot) writes:

>We need a way to set up accounting for the NeXT Laser Printer.

Try 'man -k account' and 'man printcap'. That is why all the
documentation is on line. You need to nidump printcap, edit the
printer info from the information you find in the printcap man page
and then use '/usr/etc/pac' to see the accounting records. You don't
need to go through any of that credit-card garbage. Just have them pay
$10.00 up front and disable their account if they go over it and don't
pay (you'll probably need a cron entry and maybe an awk script to
find the overcharged accounts on a daily basis).

--
Chris Whatley
Work: chari@pelican.ma.utexas.edu (NeXT Mail)		(512/471-7711 ext 123)

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (02/05/90)

I would also be interested in the implementation of the
quota stuff on the NeXT. So maybe you should summarize to the
net...

Ronald

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man." - Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@cogsci.bitnet

peram@cs.tamu.edu (Suresh B Peram) (11/16/90)

Hi,

   I wish to know if anybody is familiar with
   setting up printer accounting on NeXt.
   On a BSD 4.3 machine, we update the printcap
   file, including a field 'af' which indicates
   the accounting file and then create the file
   with appropriate permissions.  I tried the
   same thing on the NeXt, updated the netinfo
   but, still, I am unable to get it to do the
   accounting.  I will be grateful if you could
   give any suggestions.

   Please e-mail to :

	peram@cs.tamu.edu

  Thank You

Suresh Peram

agm@cs.brown.edu (Axel Merk) (05/02/91)

I release 1.0, the printer accounting was not set up. Does anyone know
how whether it is set up in 2.0? If so, could someone point out to me
where to look for guidelines to install it?

Thanks,

Axel
-- Axel Merk	                "One needs a certain amount of blindness  --
-- agm@cs.brown.edu              to see perfection" - Christopher Nuzum   --
-- phone/fax (401)272 2262 Brown University  Box 53  Providence  RI 02912 --