[comp.sys.next] Floppy Questions

songer@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Christopher M Songer) (05/01/91)

Hi,
     I finally got my Improv in the mail. (Leaving only the tech docs
left to show -- three months and counting, I think when it is all over
I'll sum up the time it has taken NeXT to get me all the stuff I've
ordered, just to see how much time I spent wondering if the UPS guy
was stopping by my place today.) Anyway, I have an optical/hardrive
system with NO floppy.

     The improv package is in a format for the Installer. Assuming I
can pull the files off the disk and take them to my cube with an optical,
is there going to be any problem? (ie is it going to ask me to insert a
new disk at some point.) If there is, what can I do to unpack Improv?

     As to the floppies themselves, can I read them in a SparcStation?
Can I read them in a PC? Just what can I read them in?

     Any help is appreciated, admitted, Improv came so late in the semester
I don't need it anymore (wish I could have said that four weeks ago)
but it is abnoxious to have the docs and the floppies and not be able
to use the App. Thanks!

-Chris

PPSTL@livid.uib.no (05/02/91)

[...]

Me too$ (I tries reading from a Sparc 1 and a Sparc LPC (?), as well as
using Norton on a PC, but nothing worked. The Sparc didn't recognize
there being a file system, and I did manage a dd but have no idea
how to make in turn into a file system again ($).  The PC did'nt help
at all.  Someone out there must have done this.  BTW - there aren't
ANY NeXTs in Norway with floppy drive - so I am 100% dependant on a
different solution than "have a friend with a station copy it for you."

Thor-Lee Legvold
University of Bergen
Norway (please, no polar bear jokes)
me\fiol.uib.no - NeXTmail
ppstl\cc.uib.no - VAX mail
(xxxxx\xxxxxxx.xxxx) - IBM mail (deleted to save headaches :-)