[net.auto] Tire recommendation?

piety@hplabsb.UUCP (Bob Piety) (01/30/86)

My '83 Toyota 4X4 needs new tires-- the original Bridgestone radials are
almost shot at 27K miles.

A friend recommended Goodyear Wrangler radials.

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, advice, on what tires I should
buy?  My useage is mainly on the street, although I do drive in snow a
cfew times a year.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Bob

eric@chronon.UUCP (Eric Black) (01/31/86)

>My '83 Toyota 4X4 needs new tires-- the original Bridgestone radials are
>almost shot at 27K miles.
>
>A friend recommended Goodyear Wrangler radials.
>
>Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, advice, on what tires I should
>buy?  My useage is mainly on the street, although I do drive in snow a
>cfew times a year.

	I recommend you DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, buy Winston radials.  They
	are "warranteed" for a minimum 42,000 miles, but mine are
	quite worn after only 18K.  Four other people have told me
	of their similar experiences (two unsolicited, service station
	attendants noticing the legend on the side of the tires and
	asking if I was happy with them).  The really neat thing about
	them is that the warranty is void if there is any evidence
	of mechanical problems in the car.  Premature tire wear is,
	apparently, prima facie evidence of mechanical problems, at
	least in the view of Winston Tire.

	I also am interested in recommendations, since I am (soon)
	going to be in the market for a new set...
--
Eric Black   "Sure, I like kids!  Sauteed with lots of garlic."
UUCP:        {...ucbvax}!sun!chronon!eric

"The views expressed by guests on this show do not necessarily represent
those of the staff, management, owners, creditors, customers, listeners,
or rodent population of this station."

halb@tekig5.UUCP (Hal Bates) (02/02/86)

In article <3246@hplabsb.UUCP> piety@hplabsb.UUCP writes:
>My '83 Toyota 4X4 needs new tires-- the original Bridgestone radials are
>almost shot at 27K miles.
>
>A friend recommended Goodyear Wrangler radials.

For your Toy -- look into the Goodrich line of LT tires
The Mudd TA is the best off road radial on the market.
The Goodyear tire is below average in tire tests conducted by 4-Weler Mag.
The Goodrich was first again. Tryum youll likeum.

halb

bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) (02/03/86)

>>My '83 Toyota 4X4 needs new tires-- the original Bridgestone radials are
>>almost shot at 27K miles.
>>
>>A friend recommended Goodyear Wrangler radials.
>>

>       I recommend you DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, buy Winston radials.  They
>       are "warranteed" for a minimum 42,000 miles, but mine are
>       quite worn after only 18K.

I put Winston "Winner" Radials on my 3/4 ton Ford Van (Twin I Beam -
notorious for eating front tires) and currently have ~50,000 miles
on them, and they still have a decent amount of tread left.  I had
both Goodyears and Goodrichs before and none of them even went
30,000.  Maybe this is an isolated case but I would sure put them
on again, that is if they ever wear out!

                -Pete-

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (02/04/86)

In article <3246@hplabsb.UUCP> piety@hplabsb.UUCP writes:
>My '83 Toyota 4X4 needs new tires-- the original Bridgestone radials are
>almost shot at 27K miles.
>
>A friend recommended Goodyear Wrangler radials.
>
>Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, advice, on what tires I should
>buy?  My useage is mainly on the street, although I do drive in snow a
>cfew times a year.
>
>Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
>Bob

I am on my second set of Goodyear Wrangler radials and I will buy a
third and forth set when they wear out.  They are excellent for the
person who once in a while needs some off the road traction but
otherwise drives primarily on the street.  They are quiet, give
excellent tread wear, (expect 45-60 K on your Toyota), provide
excellent traction wet or dry and are durable.  I have hit some
terrible rocks with no damage and have run them with 20 psi for more
traction in the mud and snow with no cord damage.
On my Toyota 4x4 I had 225-75R - 15 which clear nicely and work well.

Rule about tires:  You get what you pay for.  Unfortunately you will
have to pay for the Wranglers, but they are great.

Bill Landsborough

----

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not
arrogant or rude... Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all
things, endures all things."   1 Corinthians 13:4-7

daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (Douglas A. Williams) (02/04/86)

> A friend recommended Goodyear Wrangler radials.

	I have Wranglers on my Jeep and feel that they are very good. On
the road performance is good - wet or dry. As a matter of fact the wet
pavement traction is much better than the BFG radial T/As on my Camaro.
Snow and off-road performance is good too. Road noise is surprisingly
low. I recommend them also.

                1
              1   1
	    1   2   1			Doug Williams
	  1   3   3   1			AT&T Bell Labs
	1   4   6   4   1 		Reading, PA
      1   5   10  10   5   1		mhuxl!daw1
    1   6  15   20   15  6   1

PS: My try at responding by mail failed somewhere along the path - the
    returned mail says hplabsb is not a valid location.