[comp.sys.next] Scanners

wag1@cbnewsl.att.com (d.wagley) (04/06/91)

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with any of the scanners
that are available for the NeXT?

				Thanks,
				  Doug

jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.171942.20229@cbnewsl.att.com> wag1@cbnewsl.att.com (d.wagley) writes:

>Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with any of the scanners
>that are available for the NeXT?
>
>				Thanks,
>				  Doug
I have been using an HSD Scan-X Professional scanner since last September.
Despite initial shipping problems, the people at HSD have been extremely
pleasant to deal with, and very helpful too. The scanner worked very well
under the 030 board and System 1.0a, but I have been having some SCSI
problems since upgrading to the 040 and System 2.0. Although the problem
is not crippling or fatal, it is nonetheless annoying and HSD and NeXT
have been quite helpful in trying to solve it. So far, according to HSD,
my problem seems to be an isolated case.

The scanner hardware and software are first rate and work beautifully.
The spectrum enhancement feature is extremely helpful.

For more information, you can contact HSD at (415)964-1400 or
(415)964-1538 fax. Ask for Aglaja, and tell her Joe Chin from Objective
Software Engineering sent ya!

NOTE: I do not work for HSD, but I am a happy customer.

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

 * "Kill the body and the head will die" (Hunter S. Thompson) *
 *    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!   *
 ********** Joseph Chin --> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca *********

plampani@dpls.dacc.wisc.edu (05/02/91)

I am wondering how many NeXT users have hooked up scanners to the NeXTstation.
We have a 'station and are looking for the best OCR/Scanner combo which will be
used 99% of the time for OCR. Speed is not as important as character
recognition and it would be nice if it had some learning ability. We have had
some favorable comments on the HSD scanner and their software, OCR SERVANT.

I am wondering if there are any other machine hooked up to the NeXT (especially
the HP Scanjet, which seems to be the standard) ?

Thanks in advance.

-Patrick Lampani
plampani@dpls.dacc.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin-Madison