[net.auto] Why buy a Diesel?

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (01/15/86)

In article <2052@akgua.UUCP> rjb@akgua.UUCP (rjb) writes:

>Why buy a Diesel at all ??
>
>Pro:
>
>1) Good Gas Mileage
>2) You get to eat at Truck Stops (?)

To which I add:

3) Lower tune-up maintenance; no spark plugs, no ignition timing to
adjust, and so on. When the engine begins to run poorly, especially
if you have a GM diesel, just swap out the engine.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/20/86)

> In article <2052@akgua.UUCP> rjb@akgua.UUCP (rjb) writes:
> >
> >Why buy a Diesel at all ??
> >
> >Pro:
> >
> >1) Good Gas Mileage
> >2) You get to eat at Truck Stops (?)
>
> To which I add:
>
> 3) Lower tune-up maintenance; no spark plugs, no ignition timing to
> adjust, and so on. When the engine begins to run poorly, especially
> if you have a GM diesel, just swap out the engine.

> Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

Another good reason for a diesel automobile is that you can store large
quantities of diesel fuel for long periods of time so you don't have
to walk after World War III. :-)  In fact, I have a friend who owns
a car wash/gas station operation in Santa Rosa.  When he bought the
place, he filled up one of the unused pumps with diesel at 1979 prices,
bought a diesel car, and hasn't bought a gallon of fuel for himself
since then.

stubbs@ncr-sd.UUCP (Jan Stubbs) (02/01/86)

In article <689@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:

>3) Lower tune-up maintenance; no spark plugs, no ignition timing to
>adjust, and so on. When the engine begins to run poorly, especially
>if you have a GM diesel, just swap out the engine.

Note that most diesels require an oil change at about 3,000 miles,
which is more than twice as often as most gas engines. My GM V6 Fiero
needs it every 7500 miles.

Jan Stubbs ...sdcsvax!ncr-sd!stubbs

halb@tekig5.UUCP (Hal Bates) (02/03/86)

In article <395@ncr-sd.UUCP> stubbs@ncr-sd.UUCP (0000-Jan Stubbs) writes:
>In article <689@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
>>
>>3) Lower tune-up maintenance; no spark plugs, no ignition timing to
>
>Note that most diesels require an oil change at about 3,000 miles,
>which is more than twice as often as most gas engines. My GM V6 Fiero
>needs it every 7500 miles.
>
>Jan Stubbs ...sdcsvax!ncr-sd!stubbs

Do you really change oil every 7500 miles? You must place a low value
on your car. By the time 7500 miles has passed the oil in the crankcase
is about 1/2 gas and will not provide worthy lubrication. That is why
diesels need oil changes more often; the high compression forces fuel
past the rings and dillutes the oil. The same thing happens to a gas
engine, it just takes a little longer. The need for oil change is not
because the oil is dirty, just dilluted. If there is one event that will
extend the life and performance of your car, it is the simple action of
changing the oil. If it is too difficult, there is a oil plug that has
a valve. The cost is under 10 bucks - You dont even need a wrench.

tektronix!tekig5!halb

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (02/04/86)

In article <395@ncr-sd.UUCP> stubbs@ncr-sd.UUCP (0000-Jan Stubbs) writes:
>In article <689@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
>>
>>3) Lower tune-up maintenance; no spark plugs, no ignition timing to
>>adjust, and so on.
>
>Note that most diesels require an oil change at about 3,000 miles,
>which is more than twice as often as most gas engines. My GM V6 Fiero
>needs it every 7500 miles.

VW diesels require oil changes no more often than 7500 miles.  (Of
course, more frequent oil changes help any engine, gas or diesel...)  I
know this because I owned a '79 Rabbit diesel, and still own an '81.
The low-maintenance angle is correct, judging by my 75K + 60K miles.

Jan, before you spout off, make sure you know what you're talking
about.  The resale value of my '81 has suffered enough without your
help!  (Suffered at the hands of the designers of the GM diesels, I
might add.  Grrrr...)--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley