[comp.sys.next] ViewGif2 on '030, Mach 2.0

duchow@watnxt3.ucr.edu (John Duchowski) (05/01/91)

Hi there,

     I am running into problems with ViewGif2 on a '030 NeXT running Mach 2.0.
I got the source code from my brother who apparently was able to get this up
and running without any problems.  I believe our C compiler is GCC, but I am
not enough of a C expert to figure out how to solve the problem (see the make
log bewlow).  I have another GIF viewer, but it's old and ties up my terminal
when I have it running (i.e., I need to open another widow if I want to do
something else).  Would anyone know how to fix this problem, or would anyone
know where I can get a decent GIF viewer ?  Thank You !

                                          - John

P.S.

     We have anonymous ftp on our NeXTs, which are watnxtN.ucr.edu, N = 1,2,3.
Please feel free to use it, and leave the code in /pub.  Thanks !

make ViewGif2 "OFILE_DIR = obj"  "CFLAGS =  -O -g -Wimplicit"
cc -O -g -Wimplicit  -c Animator.m -o obj/Animator.o
Animator.m: In method `setAction:'
Animator.m:162: `_cvtToSel' undeclared (first use this function)
Animator.m:162: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
Animator.m:162: for each function it appears in.)
*** Exit 1
Stop.
*** Exit 1
Stop.

duchow@watnxt2.ucr.edu (John Duchowski) (05/03/91)

Hello,

    I would like to thank everyone for their help with getting ViewGif to
run under Mach 2.0 on our '030.  In particular, I would like to thank:

    sutter@ozone.usc.edu (Carl Sutter)

for the following advice and for the working version of ViewGif2:

    >The source for ViewGif2 was written for NeXT OS Release 1.x.  It will
    >not compile under other OS Releases (such as 2.0), and I have not had
    >the time to update it.  I can, however, send you a binary version
    >which will run under 2.0

and

    cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles N. Herrick)

for other neat GIF viewers.  All I had to do was uudecode and off they went !
I also would like to thank:

    Julie_Zelenski@next.com

for the following advice re.: Mach 2.0:

    >Deleted Function Pointers

    >The _poseAs,  _cvtToSel, and _cvtToId function pointers are no
    >longer supported.  Equivalent functionality can be obtained by
    >using the class_poseAs(), sel_getUid(), and objc_getClass()
    >functions.

and:

    Matthew L. Demsey <mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu>

for a warning about:

    >i'm also trying to port this up to NS2.0 - even after you
    >fix that problem, there will be errors in ViewBitmap and one other
    >segment.

Also,

    declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ)

offered the following, simple solution:

    >I had the same problem you did compiling ViewGIF2 under NeXTstep 2.0.
    >My solution?  Instead of playing around with compiler directives and
    >changing the makefile, I cheated and snarfed a copy that was compiled
    >under 1.0.  It works fine.

    I also received some requests for the above programs and, if there are
no objections from either the authors or people who sent them to me in the
first place, I could (1) either post them here or (2) send them directly to
people who requested them.  By the way, is there a repository of NeXT
binaries similar to comp.ibm.pc.bin or an archiver similar to simtel20
where one may place such source and/or binaries for other people to use ?

    Thanks once again for all the generous help !

                                 - John

mitroo@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Varun Mitroo) (05/03/91)

In article <14129@ucrmath.ucr.edu> duchow@watnxt2.ucr.edu (John Duchowski) writes:
>Hello,
>
>    I would like to thank everyone for their help with getting ViewGif to
>run under Mach 2.0 on our '030.  In particular, I would like to thank:

That's strange.  I compiled ViewGif2 on one of the NeXTstations on campus
about three weeks ago without any problems.  The version I have is 1.0
dated March 1990.

In fact, I modified it with Interface Builder to have a different icon and
different document icons.  (I used the icons from the NextGIF program).

Really a nice program!  I've been using it without any problems.  Excellent
work, (to Carl Sutter)

Varun
--
You are young, they are old Control is all they've got to give
Just live how you want to live Tiny things that make you slave