[comp.sys.next] Next statistics - S and New S

davisd@horton.colorado.edu (DAVIS DAVID R) (05/03/91)

Does anyone know where one can  access, via FT,
S, New  S, or a similarpublic domain statistics package
for NeXTs?

Many thanks in advance

Please post responcsesor email to

davisd@spot.colorado.edu

"Would y accuse me of starting a riot if I was
quiet? Would U?" Mutabaruka

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May3.060858.15448@colorado.edu> davisd@horton.colorado.edu (DAVIS DAVID R) writes:
>Does anyone know where one can  access, via FT,
>S, New  S, or a similarpublic domain statistics package
>for NeXTs?

S/New S is not a PD program. It is, in fact, a very expensive program
depending on where you work. You must have a license from AT&T to get
it. Whomever handles your Unix source license need only get in touch
with them.

It does run on 030/040 NeXT's, but you can't just ftp it from somewhere.
We are, after all, talking about the main data analysis research tool
for statisticians and others.

There is a commercial version that you can buy from Statistical Sciences,
but they do not have it ported to the NeXT. They need to be convinced
that there is a market for it on the NeXT. The product is called S+.
It exists on 386's(under DOS)- educational price around $895 I believe-,
on other Unix platforms,etc...If you really want to see S+ appear on
the NeXT, then you should simply e-mail marvin@statsci.com , and indicate
why they should support the NeXT. The other alternative is one that is
open to few. Typically, the issue revolves around getting licensed for
S/New S, Unix,etc...from AT&T.The impression I have, is that this is
a wonderful product for the research community at present (S/New S). S+
is the commercial version, but does not exist on the NeXT.

I have no idea how you go about obtaining the license. This is usually
handled by systems' administrators,etc...who know how to obtain Unix
source licenses.

There is a Wadsworth Book about S( by Becker et al...).

I don't want to sound discouraging. I'm sure the details can be worked
out, but unfortunately getting S at this time is not like phoning up
Frame for FrameMaker.

The port to the NeXT was done by Professor D. Bates who is in the
Department of Statistics at the University of Wisconsin at Madison.

Please do not e-mail me for more information. The last time I mentioned
S on here, I received over a hundred requests within a few days. If
people want S to be readily available for the NeXT, then presumably
NeXT Computer should be approached for help. I hate to tell you this,
but New S is wonderful on the NeXT.

Philip McDunnough
Professor of Statistics
University of Toronto