[comp.sys.next] Sony Monitors

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (10/09/90)

In article <884@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>These were GREAT disks.  I guess it's time to start exploring 3rd
>party sources.  (And order new color systems while NeXT still
>ships Sony monitors???)

By the way---are this 16'' sony's the same ones used on the small
color Sparcstations?

The reason I ask is that those have 2 thin black horizontal wires embedded
in the screen (for stabilization purpose) which are quit visible at close
range, and rather distracting to some folks.

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi (10/11/90)

In article <510@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
writes:
> By the way---are this 16'' sony's the same ones used on the small
> color Sparcstations?
>
> The reason I ask is that those have 2 thin black horizontal wires embedded
> in the screen (for stabilization purpose) which are quit visible at close
> range, and rather distracting to some folks.

Every Sony monitor I have seen has had such platinuous wire(s) whatever
the monitors size is. I suggest these have the wires too. Sony's engineers
should invent some better solution to their monitors. These wires put Sonys
otherways nice monitors out of consideration in many cases.

Kari Osmoviita
University of Helsinki
Department of Physiology
Vision Research Laboratory
Finland

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (10/12/90)

In article <3327.2713d8da@cc.helsinki.fi>, osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
|> In article <510@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
|> writes:

|> > By the way---are this 16'' sony's the same ones used on the small
|> > color Sparcstations?
|> >
|> > The reason I ask is that those have 2 thin black horizontal wires embedded
|> > in the screen (for stabilization purpose) which are quit visible at close
|> > range, and rather distracting to some folks.
|>
|> Every Sony monitor I have seen has had such platinuous wire(s) whatever
|> the monitors size is. I suggest these have the wires too. Sony's engineers
|> should invent some better solution to their monitors. These wires put Sonys
|> otherways nice monitors out of consideration in many cases.
I agree the lines are annoying, but they can get away with it as long as
other aspects of their screens are so much better than the competition.
I'd much rather live with a couple of barely visible lines than this horribly
unfocussed screen I'm using now on a DECstation.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct11.192838.29012@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

> I agree the lines are annoying, but they can get away with it as long as
> other aspects of their screens are so much better than the competition.
> I'd much rather live with a couple of barely visible lines than this horribly
> unfocussed screen I'm using now on a DECstation.
> --

I use now monitors from Eizo. I suggest they sell under the name Nanao in
U.S.A. These are good monitors, but at first look new 19" CRTs from Hitachi
look even better (they are for example Silicon Graphic's choice in addition
to Sony monitors). If you want to take a glance don't by mistake look the old
Hitachi CRTs which are horribly unfocusssed ones (and SGI also had them).

Kari Osmoviita
University of Helsinki
Department of Physiology
Vision Research Laboratory

smb@data.com (Steven M. Boker) (05/03/91)

Ok guys, fess up.  Has anyone actually connected a GDM 1936 20" Sony
monitor to the NeXT?  And why does the poor fellow who has to take
tech support calls at Sony say that there is no Sony 16" that can
sync to NeXT?  Is this a matter of internal adjustment?

It will all be moot after the tenth anyway due to NeXT's price restructure.

I have a chance to get the Sony's with three slabs and I'm looking
for any information I can get.

Steve Boker

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker           #             "Two's bifurcation                  #

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/03/91)

In article <WEG.91May3094937@convx1.convx1.ccit.arizona.edu> weg@convx1.ccit.arizona.edu (Eythan Weg) writes:

      [something about Sony's monotors]

      It will all be moot after the tenth anyway due to NeXT's price restructure.

      [.....]

   What does this restructuring mean?

Please post to the net.  I would like to know also.  Does this mean
that you should buy your favorite NeXT now?  Are we going to find out
how great of a deal NeXT has been offering all along?

-Mike

weg@convx1.ccit.arizona.edu (Eythan Weg) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May3.004102.8015@data.com> smb@data.com (Steven M. Boker) writes:

   [something about Sony's monotors]

   It will all be moot after the tenth anyway due to NeXT's price restructure.

   [.....]

What does this restructuring mean?

Eythan