[comp.sys.next] Renderman on the NeXT

bedney@lanl.gov (Bill Edney) (05/03/91)

To All -
OK, folks, here's the current scoop (which made me feel like a stoop). I just
talked to a Lola Gill at Pixar (415-215-3480). Pixar will be releasing
Renderman for the NeXT in June. It is with extreme disappointment that I must
tell you all that, contrary to my previous messages, Renderman will NOT be
bundled with OS 3.0 (at least for the time being). It will cost $2500 from
Pixar. The only bright side to this is that if you have a NeXTdimension board,
the i860 will indeed be able to shade in real-time (in what is to be called
Interactive Renderman). I thought that bundling it would sell a LOT of NeXT
machines, but I guess Steve decided differently.

Down and out (another $2500) in Los Alamos

- Bill Edney
- Los Alamos National Laboratory

"I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me. Kind of a nice
arrangement."

thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark R. Thomsen) (05/04/91)

In article <23077@lanl.gov> bedney@lanl.gov (Bill Edney) writes:
> Pixar will be releasing Renderman for the NeXT in June. It is with extreme
> disappointment that I must tell you all that, contrary to my previous
> messages, Renderman will NOT be bundled with OS 3.0 (at least for the time
> being). It will cost $2500 from Pixar. The only bright side to this is that
> if you have a NeXTdimension board, the i860 will indeed be able to shade in
> real-time (in what is to be called Interactive Renderman). I thought that
> bundling it would sell a LOT of NeXT machines, but I guess Steve decided
> differently.

This has been a topic near and dear to my heart. From that day in January
1989 when Dan'l Lewin told me that NeXT is working 24-bit color, megapixel,
Renderman, color printing, and a seemless path from then to the future I have
been hooked. Renderman is fundamental to moving from the daisy wheel age
of color graphics into the laser printer age (metaphor stretch). Dan'l left
eventually, but back then he was an inner circle guy and I believed.

Today I still believe in that vision - more so. Renderman is part of the
surge forward and has been instrinsic to NeXT's long term plans. Some day
it will be bundled. Some day.

For now, NeXTdimension is essentially 2D color graphics ... pretty much
like most graphics systems are used. Renderman is critical to 3D color
graphics. When NeXT moves into 3D (which will be market driven and
technology dependent to get cost reasonable) then I would bet Renderman
will be there. Fortunately for them, SGI is confused on how to proceed
and are not going to commit to Renderman.

I thought, BTW, that Steve sold his shares in Pixar to Vicom last April.
Vicom owns Pixar, right? Can anyone elaborate on this?

Mark R. Thomsen

P.S. "Bright side" and "shade" in the same sentence qualifies as a pun
in my book. Wit on the network?