[comp.sys.next] Cool NeXT marketing idea

phayes@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Patrick W Hayes) (04/22/91)

How about this for a TV commercial:

Text fade in:  What some NeXT users wanted to show you...
Fade out.

BLAM!  Hit 'em in the face with the most awesome/intricate/beautiful
ray-traced film ever created.

The film could be created by us.  Anyone interested could do a few frames,
just for the fun of it.  People with labs could sick godzilla on it just
for the sake of trying out godzilla on something other than a factoring
problem.  It'd be fun to see something I did at home on TV, especially how
my few frames fit into the whole thing.  Then the frames could be compressed
and collected locally by user groups or whoever and mailed to NeXT (to avoid
using the internet for commercial purposes) on optical disk (to be returned.)
You wouldn't need a color machine, even though it would be generating
a color image.

Would Ray.app/NFF do the trick or would we need something better?  Maybe
whoever makes Renderman could trade a copy with everyone involved for a short
plug in the commercial and/or a promise of some of our computer time for
themselves.

This would A) get people's attention, and B) show everyone how much we like
our machines.

Maybe they'd let people who contribute buy some stock (I know that's a risk,
but it could pay off.)

Oh yeah, and some purely NeXT generated music and/or sound effects could go
with it.

Now, any ideas for content? ...

Patrick Hayes

adonis1@nwnexus.WA.COM (Adonis Corporation ) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.235700.9860@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> phayes@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Patrick W Hayes) writes:

>BLAM!  Hit 'em in the face with the most awesome/intricate/beautiful
>ray-traced film ever created.

[stuff deleted...]

>The film could be created by us.  Anyone interested could do a few frames,

[stuff deleted...]

>Would Ray.app/NFF do the trick or would we need something better?  Maybe

[stuff deleted...]

Sounds like a great idea to me.  Count me in.  Who's going to create the
script, and how will the Ray input for each frame be distributed?  We
gotta define the output resolution and file format.  Someone will need
to take the output and zap it into film/video media.

Doug Kent
Independent NeXT Developer
adonis1@nwnexus.wa.com

flog@bernina.ethz.ch (Florian Gutzwiller) (04/23/91)

>How about this for a TV commercial:

Script:

Scene 1:

	- Text fade in:

		"Why does the world need a new computer?"

Scene 2:

	- table, pc, folders, rolodex, chair
	- light: dark surrounding
	- user: hacking pc
	- sound: pc keys echo loudly
	- speaker:

		In the 1980s, personal computers accomplished their mission:
		to radically improve INDIVIDUAL productivity ...

		(taken from the NeXT catalogue, Steven Jobs)

	- zoom out. camera leaves scenery through an cage as seen in
	  "The silence of the Lambs" in the middle of a large hall.
	  One still hears the klacking sound of the pc keys. Camera
	  flies helicopter like (as seen in Bon Jovi videos - floating
	  cameras) through the hall and leaves through the top of the
	  building (one still sees the pc user in it's cage - very small).

	  camera zooms out the building then city then world.

Scene 3:

	- text:

		In the 1990s, competitive advantage will come from
		improving the productivity of entire groups ....

	- camera:

		zoom back: world, city, building, hall.
		no more cage, hall filled with NeXTs and Users
		with all different professions. Doctors in White,
		financial wigs, researchers and so on. All of them
		eagerly hacking their NeXT.

		light: bright and natural
		camera: floating from user to user and focusing on
		some specific NeXT qualities explained from the users
		perspective.

And so on ... what do you think about this idea ....

I think we've seen this Raytracing stuff long enough on CNN.
Users want to see the benefits of the NeXT world. And that is the concept.

-Florian

zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) (04/23/91)

In article <494@nwnexus.WA.COM>, adonis1@nwnexus.WA.COM (Adonis Corporation ) writes...
>In article <1991Apr21.235700.9860@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> phayes@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Patrick W Hayes) writes:
>>
>>BLAM!  Hit 'em in the face with the most awesome/intricate/beautiful
>>ray-traced film ever created.
>
>[stuff deleted...]
>

>>The film could be created by us.  Anyone interested could do a few frames,
>>
>[stuff deleted...]
>
>>Would Ray.app/NFF do the trick or would we need something better?  Maybe
>>
>[stuff deleted...]
>
>Sounds like a great idea to me.  Count me in.  Who's going to create the
>script, and how will the Ray input for each frame be distributed?  We
>gotta define the output resolution and file format.  Someone will need
>to take the output and zap it into film/video media.

Has anyone gotten Ray.app working under 2.0/2.1?  Every time I tried
to run it under 2.0, it core dumped...

Ralph

>Doug Kent
>Independent NeXT Developer
>adonis1@nwnexus.wa.com

   | Ralph Zazula                               "Computer Addict!"        |
   | University of Arizona                 ---  Department of Physics     |
   |   UAZHEP::ZAZULA                            (DecNet/HEPNet)          |
   |   zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu         (Internet)               |
   |   "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge."  - Neil Peart    |

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (04/24/91)

Is Ray.app ftp'able from anywhere, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
I've never heard anything about it before...

-drin

Adrian Smith             ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (05/04/91)

Talking about Ray.app... is Ray.app available in OS2.x? I can't find
it on my 2.1...

sorry to bother with this trivial question

--
cyliao@bagend.eng.umd.edu       o Q. Who am I?
      @wam.umd.edu      	o A. A NeXTed person with "small" HD and OD