[comp.sys.next] Do I have a right to Extended?

isbell@athena.mit.edu (Charles L Isbell) (05/05/91)

I'm thinking of purchasing a NeXT machine, but that isn't really up for
discussion.  Here's a quick question:  If I buy the 105M setup, do I
still have a "right" to the extended release?  In other words, could I
legally buy the 2.0 Extended backups or just get a copy of the extra
stuff from another NeXT person?

I ask because the difference between 105M and 400M is like $1800
(academic prices).  I'm very sure I could find a 300MB SCSI Hardrive for
less (much less!) than that.  With the money I'd save, I could buy
a laser printer or more memory or something.

So, can I do it?

Peace.
                       "May you live in interesting times."
                                    -old Chinese curse
--
Don't just adopt opinions,    | \  / | Charles Lee Isbell
      develop them.           |  \/  | Homeboy from hell, living axiom and

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (05/05/91)

In <1991May4.172755.221@athena.mit.edu> isbell@athena.mit.edu (Charles L Isbell) writes:

>Here's a quick question:  If I buy the 105M setup, do I
>still have a "right" to the extended release?  In other words, could I
>legally buy the 2.0 Extended backups or just get a copy of the extra
>stuff from another NeXT person?

According to the c.s.next FAQL, you do.  I know that's no concrete answer
on which to base running out and copying someone's extended release stuff,
but as far as I know, you can go out and copy it.

I hope someone will post something more solid. :-)

>I ask because the difference between 105M and 400M is like $1800
>(academic prices).  I'm very sure I could find a 300MB SCSI Hardrive for
>less (much less!) than that.  With the money I'd save, I could buy
>a laser printer or more memory or something.

You know it.

Something that would also help along this line (help me, at least) is a list
of what comes with what.  Just some reference guide for us new NeXT owners
or soon-to-be NeXT owners that says "the extended release is this....." and
possibly even tells what any differences is between the old cube and the new
cube (swapping the optical drive for the 2.88MB floppy is all I know).

>--
>Don't just adopt opinions,    | \  / | Charles Lee Isbell
>      develop them.           |  \/  | Homeboy from hell, living axiom and
>------------------------------|  /\  | anonymous absolute ruler of the cosmos
>MIT has no opinions to adopt. | /  \ | isbell@athena.mit.edu, isbell@ai.mit.edu

Jeff
--