[comp.sys.next] Searching for a Russian word processor on NeXT

jmazo@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (05/03/91)

I have several requests/questions.

1).  Some time ago, I seem to recall there was a post informing us of the fact
that there exists something to make NeXT capable of using Russian.  I lost that
in a bad hard drive wipeout (lost 70 Mbytes of COMPRESSED files, none backed up
:--{ )  Anyone out there, please help me!  Also, if there are other word
processors available (hebrew, for example), please direct me to them.

2).  Are there any chemistry programs for the NeXT besides Molecule (not to say
that it is bad; it is quite good!).  I am searching something along the lines
of Chemintosh or Chemdraw of Mac's.

3).  I am searching for a good database.  It should be able to use text AND
graphics.  I plan to use it in the following way.  I would input important
parts of articles taken from chemical literature in my specialty (synthesis of
metal complexes), such as who wrote the article, when, essential information
from the article, where it was published, the name of compound synthesized, how
it was made, and a drawing of the molecule that was produced.  Currently, this
is done on little pieces of paper, and VERY inconveniently, as there are more
and more of these every day.  I would like to, for example, name a compound,
and get several records that tell me what was written about it, how to make it,
when it was first made, and so on.

I hope someone helps me...

I do accept NeXT mail everywhere, except the casbah.acns.nwu.edu address, but
your mail may bounce, as these machines crash often.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May3.143903.25152@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> jmazo@casbah.acns.nwu.edu writes:

   I have several requests/questions.

   1).  Some time ago, I seem to recall there was a post informing us of the fact
   that there exists something to make NeXT capable of using Russian.  I lost that
   in a bad hard drive wipeout (lost 70 Mbytes of COMPRESSED files, none backed up
   :--{ )  Anyone out there, please help me!  Also, if there are other word
   processors available (hebrew, for example), please direct me to them.

I don't know about this, but this newsgroup is archived on
nova.cc.purdue.edu in pub/next.  You might look there.

[...]

You might look at DataPhile.  It's written by Stone Design( Create).
I have no idea what it does, but you can get a demo version from the
ftp site that I mentioned above.

Let me know how things turn out.

-Mike

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (05/05/91)

/ comp.sys.next / jmazo@casbah.acns.nwu.edu / May  3, 1991 /

> 1).  Some time ago, I seem to recall there was a post informing us of the
> fact that there exists something to make NeXT capable of using Russian.  I
> lost that in a bad hard drive wipeout (lost 70 Mbytes of COMPRESSED files,
> none backed up :--{ ) Anyone out there, please help me!

Well, I just installed some Russian fonts (the Glasnost package from Casady
& Greene and the freely distributable CyrillicGothic font).  I just use
them in WriteNow.  They don't use any of the "standard" Russian character
encoding schemes, though: C&G's fonts are encoded so that the keyboard
layout corresponds to a Russian typewriter keyboard (ASCII 'A' = Russian
'Ef', etc.) and CyrillicGothic is encoded to correspond as much as possible
to the QWERTY keyboard (ASCII 'A' = Russian 'Ah', etc.).

The fonts were generated by Fontographer, so they need a small hack to make
them work with Display Postscript (Fontographer uses a memory management
trick that outsmarts itself in a multi-user Postscript environment).

Now, to REALLY do Russian word-processing, one would need:

1.  A user interface that allows you to change keyboard mappings on the
fly, so that the internal representation of the Russian text is not tied to
the keyboard layout.

2.  A way to tell auto-hyphenating programs what the Russian hyphenation
rules are.  A way to tell programs that allow optional hyphens what the
hyphen character is.

If you want to have #2 at the expense of WYSIWIG, you can use the Russian
TeX package.  #1 would be possible with Emacs, if I could only find a
monospace Russian font...

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob