[comp.sys.next] Nasty WriteNow BUG!!!

cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib) (04/26/91)

I am trying to write a memo using WriteNow under System version 2.0.
Everytime I try to paste a figure below a paragraph WriteNow instead puts
it on top of the paragraph!  Instead of pasting after the cursor Writenow
tries to put it before the cursor.

I have used WriteNow for a long time now and this is the first time I see
something like this.

Have anybody seen this? Is there a solution or way to get around this problem?

I can send this file to anybody that is interested in this bug.

Richard Dib
AT&T BL

PS  Thanks to all the people that answered me my last question (about the
workspace error).  I haven't got too much time to work with it but it seems
that it got to do somehow with the file permissions in that particular dir.

tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Richard Tilley) (04/26/91)

In <1991Apr25.180145.5878@cbnewse.att.com> cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib) writes:

>I am trying to write a memo using WriteNow under System version 2.0.
>Everytime I try to paste a figure below a paragraph WriteNow instead puts
>it on top of the paragraph!  Instead of pasting after the cursor Writenow
>tries to put it before the cursor.

Does the cursor not have zero width, so that before the cursor and after the
cursor are exactly the same place? Try "show space" to see where the paragraph
mark is, and whether or not it is selected.
*CAUTION* I am a Macintosh person :-)

cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib) (04/27/91)

I previously wrote this:

> >I am trying to write a memo using WriteNow under System version 2.0.
> >Everytime I try to paste a figure below a paragraph WriteNow instead puts
> >it on top of the paragraph!  Instead of pasting after the cursor Writenow
> >tries to put it before the cursor.

Then Richard Tilley replied:

> Does the cursor not have zero width, so that before the cursor and after the
> cursor are exactly the same place? Try "show space" to see where the paragraph
> mark is, and whether or not it is selected.
> *CAUTION* I am a Macintosh person :-)

The problem re-explained:

I am a Macintosh person too ;)  Maybe I did not expresed myself correctly.
The problem is that WriteNow does the paste ON TOP of the cursor position.

That means that if you have a paragraph above the cursor position it gets
"kind of erased" because the figure is place ON TOP of the paragraph.  In
other words, you get some text and the figure on the same exact place!  If
that is normal then I must be from another planet!

Imagine that you could not read the previous paragraph because I pasted a
figure on top of it, and no! text does not wrap around the figure!

I hope I explained myself better this time :-!

Richard Dib
AT&T BL

irv@happym.wa.com (Irving_Wolfe) (05/05/91)

In <1991Apr27.053157.728@cbnewse.att.com> cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib) writes:

>> >I am trying to write a memo using WriteNow under System version 2.0.
>> >Everytime I try to paste a figure below a paragraph WriteNow instead puts
>> >it on top of the paragraph!

Perhaps you have selected "fixed" rather than the default "flexible" line
spacing at the top of your window.  Flexible would expand the spacing of the
line your graphic is on to hold the graphic.  If you use fixed line spacing,
you must insert adequate blank lines after the text and before the figure to
provide space for the latter.

This is not a bug, it is a desirable feature, giving the user the ability
(despite WriteNow's fairly primitive layout capabilities) to place a graphic
alongside a piece of centered text by choosing fixed spacing and placing it,
left-aligned or right-aligned, just below the last line of centered text.
This is very nice for fancy letterheads.

or gr
--
 Irving_Wolfe@happym.wa.com      Happy Man Corp. 206/463-9399 x101
 4410 SW Pt. Robinson Rd., Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399  fax x108