------------------------------
From: p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst)

In article <andrey.670552848@beyond> you write:
>	I'm starting to design a project around the Motorola DSP56001 and need
>more memory than the 64K of SRAM that the 56001 can see.  So, has anyone out
>there hooked up DRAM, by any means, to the 56001?

I'm using 256kx4bit DRAMs with the 56001. These are DRAMs that know
about fast pagemode cycles. 6 RAMs give a 24bit word. I pass the low
10 address bits directly to the RAMs and use a PAL to decode two 1K areas
in the address space.

In Space 1, a write to 'X' memory starts a RAS cycle, a write to 'Y' memory
stops the RAS cycle.
In Space 2, a read or write is used to strobe CAS. I'm using the /BS signal
directly as CAS. Since the /WR signal is too early for the RAMs it has to
be delayed about 30-40 ns.

The processor does all refresh cycles that are interleaved with regular
accesses in the program. As you can see it is much more efficient to read
DRAM pages sequentially since each RAS consumes two extra cycles (plus the
CAS cycle). The logic described above makes it possible to use a single
write to L:-space to generate a refresh cycle.

The RAMs are Hitachi 514256-10S which are fast enough for a 20MHz main clock.
When using a 27MHz clock you can't use writes to L: space since that violates
the minimum RAS precharge time of the DRAMs but they are fast enough
for no-waitstate pagemode cycles.

Hope this helps,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

------------------------------

From: roman@jethro.sps.mot.com (Roman Robles)

Andre, we have an applications note which describes a DRAM Interface
to the DSP56001. Please call me or send me your mailing address and
I will be happy to send you a copy.

Regards
Roman Robles
MOTOROLA DSP Operations
Austin, Tx
512-891-3715

From: roman@jethro.sps.mot.com (Roman Robles)

The DSP Applications HOTLINE number is 512-891-3230 and it is manned
09:00 to 17:00 CST on normal workdays.  Please leave a phone no. and
a brief message if the line is busy.

------------------------------

From: Chuck Pateros <pateros@ecse.rpi.edu>

I just build a ram board for our ADSP board (the one from moto)

I wanted to use DRAM, but in the end, I used SRAM.  I used 16
32K x 8 chips to give me 256K x 16 (audio storage).  The circuit
is really simple - 16 SRAMS and a 74F138.  I use port lines to
give me the extra address lines.

You didn't say in your article how much extra memory you need, but
if you want a simple design, consider SRAMS.

Chuck

p.s. 128K x 8 chips are coming down in price (I got the 32K x 8 chips
	 for free)

------------------------------

From: rogerc@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Roger Conley)

The 56001 is inherently designed to do this. The address and data lines are
tri-stated on the 56001 so that memory can be double buffered. Using this
scheme a bank of memory can be either in the 56001 memory space or the host
computer's memory space. Other combinations of this technique are endlless
More than on bank can be double buffered. You can have two banks flip-flop
where one is in the 56001 and the other is in the cpu and then they switch
vica-versa and on and on. These are just simple examples.

--
Roger Conley
rogerc@qiclab.scn.rain.com

--