[comp.sys.next] HELP!!!!

cmaz514@ut-emx.uucp (Raghu Ramachandran) (03/31/91)

Last night I was in root removing files from the 105M hard disk to free up some
space.  I accidentaly double clicked on the icon for /private/vm/swapdisk.

This started up 'Edit', which then tried to open the swapfile.

Needless to say both the computer and I had a fit!

I forced the workspace to the front and loged out.  By the time the log out was
complete several minutes had elapsed.  When I logged back in, the swapfile had
exploded, and I only have 8.77MB free on the hard disk.  The swap file has a
size reading of 27467776 (~26MB).

Any help in reducing the size of the swapfile would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Raghu

lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) (04/01/91)

cmaz514@ut-emx.uucp (Raghu Ramachandran) writes:

> Last night I was in root removing files from the 105M hard disk to free up so
> space.  I accidentaly double clicked on the icon for /private/vm/swapdisk.
>
> This started up 'Edit', which then tried to open the swapfile.
>
> Needless to say both the computer and I had a fit!
>
> I forced the workspace to the front and loged out.  By the time the log out w
> complete several minutes had elapsed.  When I logged back in, the swapfile ha
> exploded, and I only have 8.77MB free on the hard disk.  The swap file has a
> size reading of 27467776 (~26MB).

Just delete /private/vm/swapfile while in single user mode > B SD -S
then reboot the NeXT and the RC file will automatically create a new
swapfile. It will grow accordingly...

 *  lawrence_clarke@questor.uucp  |  c/o TRIUMF Operations Group     *
 *  larry@erich.triumf.ca         |  University of British Columbia  *
 *  Compuserve: 70441,1776        |  4004 Wesbrook Mall              *
 *  Phone: +1 604 275-5902        |  Vancouver, British Columbia     *
 *  FAX:   +1 604 275-4184        |  Canada  V6T 2A3                 *

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (05/05/91)

AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH my 040 cube does not complete booting!

I was trying those changes suggested by people so to display hostname
in the login window. I tried the one that add -HostName hostname" to
the /etc/ttys file. I thought it can be re-read simply by killing
the process by kill -HUP 1 (from memory, perhpas I have this wrong)
suddenly, the whole thing froze, and there was no way I could do much
on that. I went into monitor and tried reboot.
Everything went fine untill when it was starting standard deamons.
these are what I got on the screen (verbose mode)

starting standard daemons: update cron.
Sat May 4 22:34:00 CDT 1991
May 4 22 :34:48 localhost syslog:loginwindow: could not find WindowServer Port!

and the same error message got repeated several times.
I also tried to powerdown and up (obvious, didn't help)
Now that my mind is blank, and I am open to ANY suggestion you have

Thanks guys!
(mmm... I don't know how can I survive without you guys!:)

--
cyliao@bagend.eng.umd.edu       o Q. Who am I?
      NeXTmail o.k.       	o A. A NeXTed person with 320meg HD and OD