[comp.sys.next] The NeXT is still the best buy.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May01.180826.38160@slate.mines.colorado.edu> mfriedel@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Friedel Michael) writes:

      NeXTStep with Mach3.0 			$ 500
      (No Mathematica, maybe even strip WriteNow,
	no need for NeXTMail either)
      generic 386 with 16Meg			$2000
      Networkpackage				$ 500
      (Ethernetboard + NeXTMail)
						   ------
						   $2500
   Sounds cool ?

The 386 doesn't have a floating-point coprocessor(needed for
postscript) and it probably isn't quite as fast as a 68030.  And what
about the display.  Some sort of VGA(resolution would be too low)?
You aren't going to get a better deal from another computer company.
NeXT is still offering the best personal computer on the market if you
have the money.

The only thing NeXT has to do is get more software written for their
machines so accountants, graphics design people, engineers, etc. can
buy the NeXT.  Many people are excited about it but they have to get a
job done, and w/o software...

-Mike

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (05/05/91)

In article <#l6Gi_m_1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>The 386 doesn't have a floating-point coprocessor(needed for
>postscript)

Then what is this part Intel sells called an 80387?  Kithrup has an IIT '387
clone.  Cyrix has a *much* faster '387 clone.

>and it probably isn't quite as fast as a 68030.

As far as most anyone can tell, the '30 and '386 are more-or-less equivalent
in speed.  The '386 has fewer registers, but makes up for it by some
shortcuts and somewhat speedier instructions.  The '30 has more registers,
which cuts down memory-access time, and is a great boon (especially to
compilers).

>And what
>about the display.  Some sort of VGA(resolution would be too low)?

SuperVGA is 1024x768x8 (that's 256 colors).  There are better displays out
there; I have a cornerstone with 1600x1280, for example.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."