[comp.sys.next] Searching for a word processor on NeXT to do foreign chars nicely

jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (05/05/91)

In <130177@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:

>/ comp.sys.next / jmazo@casbah.acns.nwu.edu / May  3, 1991 /
>
>> 1).  Some time ago, I seem to recall there was a post informing us of the
>> fact that there exists something to make NeXT capable of using Russian.  I
>> lost that in a bad hard drive wipeout (lost 70 Mbytes of COMPRESSED files,
>> none backed up :--{ ) Anyone out there, please help me!
>
>Well, I just installed some Russian fonts (the Glasnost package from Casady
>& Greene and the freely distributable CyrillicGothic font).  I just use
>them in WriteNow.
>
>Jacob
>--
>Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

I was wondering if there is a problem using foreign characters in WriteNow.
I suppose the ultimate setup for doing foreign work would be a set of key
bindings that are visible to the word processor in question, not system
wide.  It could go something like this:

This keystroke code            This on-screen font character  This printer code
                        ===>                               ===>
    [xxx]                               [yyy]                      [zzz]

Where xxx,yyy and zzz are 3 possibly different numbers or codes of some sort.
This way you could have alt-e become e' (e with an accent aigu above it) and
have the correct character print on the printer.

I'm not that familiar with all the NeXT word processors, so I'm asking the
net.  Is there a word processor for the NeXT that can do this in this manner
or any manner that allows me to have WYSIWYG _AND_ local key bindings so I
can customize the keyboard to MY liking?

Jeff
--
jeffo@uiuc.edu