[net.auto] small car manners and other flames

jrl@harpo.UUCP (jrl) (01/23/86)

   General flames to subcompact car drivers

  1) Learn how to use the gas. I realize that your are "doing your
     part" in conserving gas and all that crock of dung, but stay
     the hell out of the left lane if you want to do 45. Also learn
     the art of merging into the flow of traffic. Entrance ramps are
     designed to be used to accelerate to the flow of traffic. I don't
     like to wear down my brakes due to your lack of consideration
     to other drivers, would you play the same games with a truck ??

  2)  Don't change lanes within 2 feet of another car and then slow down.
      Also try using your signal before you change lanes. Leave some room
      just in case of gross errors in judgement.

  3)  Just because your car is small don't get cute and play the pass
      on the right on an entrance ramp to avoid the traffic. Traffic
      in some areas does suck, If you don't like it MOVE to Maine or
      some other place. Those moves are quite illegal and rest assured
      if you cause ME to have an accident avoiding your stupid moves,
      I just might take your house away via a lawsuit. To hell with
      no fault insurance. Perhaps no fault insurance should be killed.
      It could be the cause of bad driving habits. An example: Asshole
      "A" runs a stop sign and rams car "B" broadside bending it in half.
      Court finds car "B" 30% at fault for not avoiding the accident. If
      a person has a disregard for traffic laws, then he/she should be
      prepared to pay the price, economocally and if called for, jail.

   4) The national 55 mph speed limit is a plot. Just like there is no real
      great progress in cancer research because what would all the doctors,
      hospitals and suppliers of medical equipment do without paitents ?
      Sure the argument that the 55 mph limit saves lives, but an accident
      which would kill you at 70 - 75 might put you in a wheelchair at 55 mph.
      More people maimed means more bucks to the laywers and medical profession.
   5) Small cars are death boxes, and if you drive one, you should be aware
      of what might happen if you screw up and hit something. You might get
      killed or maimed. I was in a small car that was involved in a minor
      collision and was quite surprised at the damage and forces involved.
      From that point on I have refused to ride in anything smaller than a
      Impala or a Cutlass or other type car. And I usually but the biggest
      car I can afford. There is no energy problem and I don't care much
      about gas mileage anyway. 10 mpg is fine with me as long as my car
      is capable of some reasonable protection in case of collision. And
      I commute about 550 miles a week. Most people that I know that have
      been in accidents in subcompact Jap pieces of crap will never buy
      one again.

   6) Driving can be fun if most people would exercise common manners and
      OBEY THE RULES OF THE ROAD. Read the signs, observe the lane markings
      and use your directionals.

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Mr. Berry) (01/24/86)

Re: Big Boat assholes and other jerks

What the hell makes you think only drivers of small cars
are inconsiderate?  Why do only imports cause people to
misjudge acceleration speed?  I see just as many people
in gas guzzlers trying to pass on the right.  In fact,
many of the worst drivers are probably in large "boats"
because a lot of them don't have the intelligence to figure
out a manual transmission.

I've got no gripes about you driving a large car for protection,
and I agree the 55 mph limit is ludicrous in most situations.
However, I find your unwarranted abuse and unsupported
generalizations to be intellectually sloppy, at best.  There
are as many Cadilac drivers with no courtesy as there are
inconsiderate small-car drivers.

"What do YOU drive?"
   "About 130 yards, depending on what club I use."
"Ah...a COMPANY car."
		Scott J. Berry		ihnp4!hou2g!scott

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (01/27/86)

In article <3570@harpo.UUCP> jrl@harpo.UUCP (jrl) writes:

>   General flames to subcompact car drivers

Practically all of these flames apply to *all* drivers, not just
subcompact drivers.

>   5) Small cars are death boxes, and if you drive one, you should be aware
>      of what might happen if you screw up and hit something. You might get
>      killed or maimed. I was in a small car that was involved in a minor
>      collision and was quite surprised at the damage and forces involved.

No question, small cars look BAD after an accident.  However, the
driver and passengers usually look GOOD.  Most newer small cars
(mid-1970's and on) are designed to crumple under impact.  It makes
for spectacular damage, but the wrinkling absorbs much of the energy
of the collision, and the occupants receive more protection.  It's
sort of like hitting a brick wall (say, an 18-wheeler) with your bare
fist (your car).  It'll hurt like hell, regardless of how big your
fist is, but if you're wearing boxing gloves, you might not break any
fingers...

>      ... Most people that I know that have
>      been in accidents in subcompact Jap pieces of crap will never buy
>      one again.

Most people I know that have been in accidents in small cars have
bought new small cars...  (In any case, the new Golf and GTI are
*compacts* according to EPA, not subcompacts!  :-)

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen

...and I even sign my articles

halb@tekig5.UUCP (Hal Bates) (01/27/86)

In article <3570@harpo.UUCP> jrl@harpo.UUCP (jrl) writes:

>   General flames to subcompact car drivers
>
>  1) Learn how to use the gas. I realize that your are "doing your
>     part" in conserving gas and all that crock of dung, but stay
>     the hell out of the left lane if you want to do 45. Also learn
>     the art of merging into the flow of traffic. Entrance ramps are
>     designed to be used to accelerate to the flow of traffic. I don't
>     like to wear down my brakes due to your lack of consideration
>     to other drivers, would you play the same games with a truck ??
>
>  2)  Don't change lanes within 2 feet of another car and then slow down.
>      Also try using your signal before you change lanes. Leave some room
>      just in case of gross errors in judgement.
>
>  3)  Just because your car is small don't get cute and play the pass
>      on the right on an entrance ramp to avoid the traffic. Traffic
>      in some areas does suck, If you don't like it MOVE to Maine or
>      some other place. Those moves are quite illegal and rest assured
>      if you cause ME to have an accident avoiding your stupid moves,
>      I just might take your house away via a lawsuit. To hell with
>      no fault insurance. Perhaps no fault insurance should be killed.
>      It could be the cause of bad driving habits. An example: Asshole
>      "A" runs a stop sign and rams car "B" broadside bending it in half.
>      Court finds car "B" 30% at fault for not avoiding the accident. If
>      a person has a disregard for traffic laws, then he/she should be
>      prepared to pay the price, economocally and if called for, jail.
>
>   4) The national 55 mph speed limit is a plot. Just like there is no real
>      great progress in cancer research because what would all the doctors,
>      hospitals and suppliers of medical equipment do without paitents ?
>      Sure the argument that the 55 mph limit saves lives, but an accident
>      which would kill you at 70 - 75 might put you in a wheelchair at 55 mph.
>      More people maimed means more bucks to the laywers and medical profession.
>   5) Small cars are death boxes, and if you drive one, you should be aware
>      of what might happen if you screw up and hit something. You might get
>      killed or maimed. I was in a small car that was involved in a minor
>      collision and was quite surprised at the damage and forces involved.
>      From that point on I have refused to ride in anything smaller than a
>      Impala or a Cutlass or other type car. And I usually but the biggest
>      car I can afford. There is no energy problem and I don't care much
>      about gas mileage anyway. 10 mpg is fine with me as long as my car
>      is capable of some reasonable protection in case of collision. And
>      I commute about 550 miles a week. Most people that I know that have
>      been in accidents in subcompact Jap pieces of crap will never buy
>      one again.
>
>   6) Driving can be fun if most people would exercise common manners and
>      OBEY THE RULES OF THE ROAD. Read the signs, observe the lane markings
>      and use your directionals.

Geez and I thought I was a redneck.

I thought I wrote the article until I came to the part about Land Barges.
Who the hell says a Cutlass pig is a safe car? It is a land barge that
couldnt avoid a collision except by accident :-)

But really; Keep the hell out of the left lane unless passing. Ever wonder
what causes those accidents on the feeways? Some guy in the left lane in
a Subaru doing 45 trying to pass a chevette doing 40 in front of a semi
rig going 70 and a 280Z on his ass. Whammer-Jammer

It appears to me that at least 50% of the people impeading traffic in the
left lane take great pleasure with their efforts. Or, they are stupid enough
not to know what they are doing.

tektronix!tekig5!halb

vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) (01/27/86)

>From: jrl@harpo.UUCP (jrl)
>Subject: small car manners and other flames

>   General flames to subcompact car drivers

>  1) Learn how to use the gas. I realize that your are "doing your
>     part" in conserving gas and all that crock of dung, but stay
>     the hell out of the left lane if you want to do 45. Also learn
>     the art of merging into the flow of traffic. Entrance ramps are
>     designed to be used to accelerate to the flow of traffic. I don't
>     like to wear down my brakes due to your lack of consideration
>     to other drivers, would you play the same games with a truck ??

I must agree , when entering the highway accelerate to match the flow of the
traffic,it is often safer, also when a line of cars is entering the highway
the first cars should stay in the acceleration lane and merge not swerve
over white lines to enter the lane. this screws up those who really know how to
enter a highway in the correct manner.

>  2)  Don't change lanes within 2 feet of another car and then slow down.
>      Also try using your signal before you change lanes. Leave some room
>      just in case of gross errors in judgement.

no one seems to look over their shoulder when they change lanes, most cars
have blind spots. I love to watch people stare into their side mirror,
slowly change lanes and madly return to their original lane after they
see another car appear in their mirror.

>  3)  Just because your car is small don't get cute and play the pass
>      on the right on an entrance ramp to avoid the traffic. Traffic
>      in some areas does suck, If you don't like it MOVE to Maine or
>      some other place. Those moves are quite illegal and rest assured
>      if you cause ME to have an accident avoiding your stupid moves,
>      I just might take your house away via a lawsuit. To hell with
>      no fault insurance. Perhaps no fault insurance should be killed.
>      It could be the cause of bad driving habits. An example: Asshole
>      "A" runs a stop sign and rams car "B" broadside bending it in half.
>      Court finds car "B" 30% at fault for not avoiding the accident. If
>      a person has a disregard for traffic laws, then he/she should be
>      prepared to pay the price, economocally and if called for, jail.

>   4) The national 55 mph speed limit is a plot. Just like there is no real
>      great progress in cancer research because what would all the doctors,
>      hospitals and suppliers of medical equipment do without paitents ?
>      Sure the argument that the 55 mph limit saves lives, but an accident
>      which would kill you at 70 - 75 might put you in a wheelchair at 55 mph.
>    More people maimed means more bucks to the laywers and medical profession.

speed does not kill, sudden deceleration does.
we need better driver education, not more laws.

>   5) Small cars are death boxes, and if you drive one, you should be aware

opinionated bullshit !!

>      of what might happen if you screw up and hit something. You might get
>      killed or maimed. I was in a small car that was involved in a minor

agreed !! the person driving should know the limitations of the car.

>      collision and was quite surprised at the damage and forces involved.
>      From that point on I have refused to ride in anything smaller than a
>      Impala or a Cutlass or other type car. And I usually but the biggest
>      car I can afford. There is no energy problem and I don't care much
>      about gas mileage anyway. 10 mpg is fine with me as long as my car
>      is capable of some reasonable protection in case of collision. And
>      I commute about 550 miles a week. Most people that I know that have
>      been in accidents in subcompact Jap pieces of crap will never buy
>      one again.

where did you come up with this crap. Stopping from suddenly from 55 mph
hurts as much in an impala as in a pinto. How can you make such valid
well thought out points at the beginning of this article and finish with
this garbage. A great movie with a terrible ending.

Read last weeks Autoweek article by Satch Carlson. You may understand.

>   6) Driving can be fun if most people would exercise common manners and
>      OBEY THE RULES OF THE ROAD. Read the signs, observe the lane markings

	A little contadictory after reading your stuff about 55mph limit.

>      and use your directionals.

						chuck gerarden
					..!ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (01/27/86)

Why is it that every time somebody climbs into their VW bug they
start driving it as if it were a Porsche?

Have you ever heard Bill Cosby's routine (on his record "Over Two
Hundre Miles and Hour," I believe) about what the general population
thinks of VW drivers? It's *very* funny.

keith

doug@ides.UUCP (Douglas J. Wait) (01/29/86)

> >From: jrl@harpo.UUCP (jrl)
> >Subject: small car manners and other flames
>
> >   General flames to subcompact car drivers

Is a BMW 325E a subcompact?.. How about a VW GTI?..

Anyway, I agree with most of this.  You should try living in FL.

I haven't found it yet but I'm convinced that the law must read:

When entering a limited access highway:
	1) Drive to the end of the entrance ramp.
	2) Come to a complete stop.
	3) Look BOTH directions.
	4) Wait until frustrated.
	5) Pull out slowly into far lane.
	6) DO NO GIVE SIGNALS!

I just know this law must be in the FL statutes some where!
So many people would not DO this if it weren't a LAW!

--

			Doug Wait
			AT&T Information Systems

			..!{akgua,ihnp4,abcom}!abfli!doug

			"Is anyBODY OUT there..."

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (02/01/86)

harpo!jrl:

>    General flames to subcompact car drivers
>
>   1) Learn how to use the gas. I realize that your are "doing your
>      part" in conserving gas and all that crock of dung, but stay
>      the hell out of the left lane if you want to do 45.

[ ... ]

>    6) Driving can be fun if most people would exercise common manners and
>       OBEY THE RULES OF THE ROAD. Read the signs, observe the lane markings
>       and use your directionals.

Funny, my experience has been that the drivers with the worst road manners
are (apart from hot-shit brats trying to impress girls) fat people
driving Cadillacs!
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet

king@kestrel.ARPA (02/06/86)

I commute by bicycle.  I have had to leave the road five times to
avoid a collision in the last six years.  In EVERY such incident the
offending car was a large Buick, which I would estimate is about 10%
of the nation's rolling stock.  P=0.00001, perhaps 0.001 that all such
incidents be of the same make of auto.

No, it's not the same guy every time. This record covers three routes
and two states!

Don't go telling me that small car drivers have bad manners and that
drivers of boats tend not to be inconsiderate!!

-dick