[comp.sys.next] Renderman

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (09/22/90)

I haven't seen anything in the documentation about renderman.  Were we all
mistaken in thinking that renderman would be included with the color board?

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker                #  Black holes are how God divides by zero.  #

dayglow@csli.Stanford.EDU (Eric T. Ly) (09/23/90)

In article <464@datran2.uunet> smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:

>I haven't seen anything in the documentation about renderman.  Were we all
>mistaken in thinking that renderman would be included with the color board?

Yes, that's being worked on at the moment.  Renderman probably won't
be demonstratable until the beginning of next calendar year.

						Eric Ly
						BANG

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (09/29/90)

In article <464@datran2.uunet>, smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) says:

>I haven't seen anything in the documentation about renderman.  Were we all
>mistaken in thinking that renderman would be included with the color board?

My expectations were the same as yours. As a matter of fact, I also
thought Jobs bought into Pixar?

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

In article <90272.080935SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM
	(Salvatore Saieva) writes:
>In article <464@datran2.uunet>, smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) says:
>>
>>I haven't seen anything in the documentation about renderman.  Were we all
>>mistaken in thinking that renderman would be included with the color board?
>>
>My expectations were the same as yours. As a matter of fact, I also
>thought Jobs bought into Pixar?

I'm just curious about the box that arrived here from Pixar last
week... MacRenderman(!)

I guess the Macintoys will be with us a bit longer, sigh.

					-=EPS=-
--
If they can put Adobe Type Manager on a NeXT, why can't we get
NextStep(tm) Window Server for the Mac?  We have MacX...

Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu (Eric H. Thayer) (10/05/90)

Anyone know of a credible reference for what exactly the Renderman model
is like?

----------------------------------
Replies can have NeXT attachments in them
Phone: (412)268-7679

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/07/90)

>In article <464@datran2.uunet>, smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) says:
>>
>>I haven't seen anything in the documentation about renderman.  Were we all
>>mistaken in thinking that renderman would be included with the color board?

As far as I know, the official word is that Renderman is in the works
and will be available some time next year.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct4.201416.1611@cs.cmu.edu> Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu (Eric H. Thayer) writes:

>Anyone know of a credible reference for what exactly the Renderman model
>is like?

Take a look at the book "The Renderman Companion" by Steve Upstill
published by Addison Wes. No. 50868

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

bedney@lanl.gov (Bill Edney) (05/01/91)

Sorry I forgot this last point in my message about NeXTdimension. I talked with
Alvy Ray Smith (one of the higher ups at Pixar) last week in Santa Fe at a
presentation he was giving. He said that Renderman (including NeXT's
"Interactive Renderman") were to be BUNDLED with 3.0. It seems to me that he
would know what he was talking about.

- Bill Edney
- Los Alamos National Laboratory

"I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me. Kind of a nice
arrangement."

portnoy@athena.mit.edu (Stephen L. Peters) (05/01/91)

In article <22906@lanl.gov> bedney@lanl.gov (Bill Edney) writes:
>Alvy Ray Smith (one of the higher ups at Pixar) last week in Santa Fe at a
>presentation he was giving. He said that Renderman (including NeXT's
>"Interactive Renderman") were to be BUNDLED with 3.0. It seems to me that he
>would know what he was talking about.

Zowie!  I may have to hold off on any NeXT purchase I make, then :-)
Any idea when 3.0 is going to come out (provided that this isn't just
rumorware, of course)?  When when when when when?  [Sorry, the idea of
Renderman makes me a little frothy.]

>- Bill Edney
				Stephen Peters

dwboyce@acsu.buffalo.edu (Doug Boyce) (05/01/91)

:
:Zowie!  I may have to hold off on any NeXT purchase I make, then :-)
:Any idea when 3.0 is going to come out (provided that this isn't just
:rumorware, of course)?  When when when when when?  [Sorry, the idea of
:Renderman makes me a little frothy.]

Besides the ohh's and ahhh's of this (even if it isn't true), wouldn't this
seriously increase the OS upgrade costs (licensing the program) for users
to go from 2.? to 3.0.

--
Doug Boyce    dwboyce@acsu.buffalo.edu

"Speedballs are interesting if you aren't the cannoneer doing the running."
"Where's that Lotto ticket, I want a NeXT NoW!"

bostrov@prism.cs.orst.edu (Vareck Bostrom) (05/01/91)

In <22906@lanl.gov> bedney@lanl.gov (Bill Edney) writes:

>Sorry I forgot this last point in my message about NeXTdimension. I talked with
>Alvy Ray Smith (one of the higher ups at Pixar) last week in Santa Fe at a
>presentation he was giving. He said that Renderman (including NeXT's
>"Interactive Renderman") were to be BUNDLED with 3.0. It seems to me that he
>would know what he was talking about.

>- Bill Edney
>- Los Alamos National Laboratory

>"I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me. Kind of a nice
>arrangement."

That sounds really neat. Any Idea when 3.0 will be out, or how much it will
cost us already-broke-from-buying-our-cubes-and-660MBs-and-16MB-and-printer
people?

- Vareck Bostrom
- bostrov@prism.cs.orst.edu
or
- bostrov@gnu.ai.mit.edu

bedney@lanl.gov (Bill Edney) (05/01/91)

In article <1991May01.061746.12254@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> bostrov@prism.cs.orst.edu
(Vareck Bostrom) writes:
> That sounds really neat. Any Idea when 3.0 will be out, or how much it will
> cost us already-broke-from-buying-our-cubes-and-660MBs-and-16MB-and-printer
> people?
>
> - Vareck Bostrom
> - bostrov@prism.cs.orst.edu
> or
> - bostrov@gnu.ai.mit.edu

What can I say? Look for 3.0 around that time that the two previous systems
were announced (Sept/Oct) probably shipping by the end of the year? For all
those who are still in doubt, I personally talked to a NeXT engineer at one of
those developer's lunches in *November* and he said that he had Renderman up
and running on the NeXT (he was one of the guys working on it.) So, at least we
know it runs on the NeXT.

- Bill Edney
- Los Alamos National Laboratory

"I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me. Kind of a nice
arrangement."

vinl@wet.UUCP (Vin Locke) (05/04/91)

As I understand it, Renderman is a rendering package that accepts
three-dimensional drawings; however, the package itself doesn't contain
a modeler with which to create the drawing (this is third-hand info, no let
me know if it does indeed contain a modeler).  If this is true, what
packages are out there that one could use to create 3-d drawings in NeXT?
For that matter, what package's drawings will it accept?

ernest@pundit.cithep.caltech.edu (Ernest Prabhakar) (05/06/91)

In article <2406@wet.UUCP> vinl@wet.UUCP (Vin Locke) writes:

> As I understand it, Renderman is a rendering package that accepts
> three-dimensional drawings; however, the package itself doesn't contain
> a modeler with which to create the drawing

I have the brochure from Pixar in front of me.  "Developer's RenderMan" is the
all-purpose 3D rendering tool based on the "RenderMan Interface 3-D scene
description specification" and the "PhotoRealistic" renderings.  The two
together (modeling + rendering) form a complete package.

Just to make you drool:
- texture - reflectivity - multiple light sources - shadows
- shading - motion blur - antialiasing - depth-of-field - transparency

I'm drooling too.  Here's hoping the threat of charging $2500 ($1500) is just a
marketing ploy and it *will* be bundled in 3.0...

	-- Ernie P.
--
Ernest N. Prabhakar             Caltech High Energy Physics
CaJUN President   NeXTMail:ernest@pundit.cithep.caltech.edu