[comp.sys.next] DSP docs

jjb@hardy.u.washington.edu (Jim Black) (04/25/91)

I've been looking over the online 2.0 documentation for a good introduction
and overview of the DSP - what it is capable of doing, etc.

The following title looked promising:
 NextLibrary/Documentation/SndMusicDSP/Reference/ApD_DSPDetails/DSPDetails.rtf
but the contents are empty.  :(
(Is this true with all the 2.0 releases, or did I get a bad copy of this file?
It's empty on my original 2.0-release optical disk.)

Can anyone suggest where I can look for a good introduction, from simple
to detailed, to the DSP?  (ftp is fine.)  All the stuff in the online
documentation seems to be either the assembler manual, or programming
examples.  I'm hoping for something that's more high-level as an
introduction.  Any ideas? I'd like to read about its sound capabilities, and
also about using it for things like compression and matrix operations.
Also, some information about how it/we handles/supprts multitask/multithreaded
concurrent usage.

I've ordered the NeXT bible, and have contacted Motorola for the 56000
reference books suggested in NextDev/Summaries (the univ. bookstore
had no record of these motorola books in print).

Thanks folks...

--
Jim Black  (jjb@u.washington.edu)

wiml@milton.u.washington.edu (William Lewis) (05/06/91)

In article <1991Apr24.192921.9046@hardy.u.washington.edu> jjb@hardy.acs.washington.edu (Jim Black) writes:
>Also, some information about how it/we handles/supprts multitask/multithreaded
>concurrent usage.

   It doesn't. This isn't a bug; it's a feature: it allows the DSP to
be used for realtime tasks, since it never gets preempted or rescheduled.
Of course, only one application can be using it at a time ...

--
 wiml@milton.acs.washington.edu       Seattle, Washington
     (William Lewis)   |  47 41' 15" N   122 42' 58" W