[comp.sys.next] NeXTMail

sulistio@sutro.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi) (04/06/91)

Sorry, I know this has been posted before and I did not save the posting.
I have a NeXTstation at home, and modem.  How can I send NeXTMail from my home
without using UUCP?  Thanks, and sorry again.

--
Mul			    |  Alt. address: sulistio@futon.sfsu.edu
sulistio@sutro.sfsu.edu     |		     sulistio@sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (05/03/91)

I'm posting this for hobbs@cs.odu.edu, who can't post here, but can read:

Why does NeXTMail put a ^M at the end of each line? Any ideas?

Please email replies to the above address.

Thanks,

-drin

Adrian Smith             ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (05/05/91)

In article <m5ZB23w164w@ersys.uucp> ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
   Why does NeXTMail put a ^M at the end of each line?

It does not. I checked.
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (05/05/91)

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Get a Name) writes

Smith) writes:
> >    Why does NeXTMail put a ^M at the end of each line?
>
> It does not. I checked.

Mail.app does not put ^M on each line.  However, the standard UNIX mailer
will append ^M to each line under some circumstances, after Mail.app is
through with it (after it passes through /usr/lib/sendmail).  In particular,
outgoing UUCP mail always has ^M appended to every line, although they
are usually stripped by the mailer on the receiving end, at least on
most UNIX systems.

This may also be the case on outbound internet mail, but I'm not on the
internet, so I can't check.

Perhaps you were looking in /usr/spool/uucp/D.hostname at some of the
spooled mail files?  You will typically see ^M characters there.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

flog@bernina.ethz.ch (Florian Gutzwiller) (05/06/91)

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:

>cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Get a Name) writes

>> > In article <m5ZB23w164w@ersys.uucp> ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian
>Smith) writes:
>> >    Why does NeXTMail put a ^M at the end of each line?
>>
>> It does not. I checked.

>Mail.app does not put ^M on each line.  However, the standard UNIX mailer
>will append ^M to each line under some circumstances, after Mail.app is
>through with it (after it passes through /usr/lib/sendmail).  In particular,
>outgoing UUCP mail always has ^M appended to every line, although they
>are usually stripped by the mailer on the receiving end, at least on
>most UNIX systems.

>This may also be the case on outbound internet mail, but I'm not on the
>internet, so I can't check.

>Perhaps you were looking in /usr/spool/uucp/D.hostname at some of the
>spooled mail files?  You will typically see ^M characters there.

Muucp,  P=/usr/bin/uux, F=sDFhuCUR, S=13, R=23, M=100000, E=\n,
        A=uux - -r $h!rmail ($u)			  ^^^^

Add this to your mailer entry in /etc/sendmail/sendmail.cf. It will
use newline instead of ^M.

-Florian