[comp.sys.next] How many internal devices to be installed in a CUBE?

lee@pipe.cs.wisc.edu (Soo Lee) (05/03/91)

Is there anybody who tried to install up to 3 storage devices in a new 040 Cube?
I'd like to put an OD into 8M/105M CUBE but don't have it now. The questions are
	1) how many power connectors available for internal devices
	   (according to '90 fall catalog, CUBE can have up to 3 HH devices)?
	2) Could you tell me any experience with this kind of configuration?
	   (power, heat problems)
	3) If there is someone who is using in/external CD-ROM, please send
	   me a comment. I'd like to know whether CD-ROM for MAC is working
	   with NeXT, especially panasonic mutiple CD-ROM exchanger.
Thanks in advance.

Soo
lee@cs.wisc.edu

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (05/05/91)

In article <1991May2.224516.23061@spool.cs.wisc.edu> lee@pipe.cs.wisc.edu (Soo Lee) writes:
   Is there anybody who tried to install up to 3 storage devices in a new 040 Cube?

boy, here's a candidate for the FAQ!

Fyi, the cube has room for 2 full-height 5 1/4 devices. This means
that the cube has room for 4 half-height 5 1/4 devices. There are
other combinations, but I'm sure you get the drift.
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

b3300876@rick.cs.ubc.ca (george kai yee chow) (05/07/91)

In article <CNH5730.91May4150225@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu writes:
>In article <1991May2.224516.23061@spool.cs.wisc.edu> lee@pipe.cs.wisc.edu (Soo Lee) writes:
>   Is there anybody who tried to install up to 3 storage devices in a new 040 Cube?
>
>boy, here's a candidate for the FAQ!
>
>Fyi, the cube has room for 2 full-height 5 1/4 devices. This means
>that the cube has room for 4 half-height 5 1/4 devices. There are
>other combinations, but I'm sure you get the drift.

But the last time I looked inside my friend's (Businessland firesale) cube,
there were only two power connectors. Since he's got an OD and an accelerator,
he can't add anything more unless he uses one of those PC power-dividers. Is
this just a `feature' of older cubes or are all NeXT cubes equipped only to
power two devices?

>--
>"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
> and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
>	-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

George