[comp.sys.next] Recording and playback.

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (05/08/91)

I need the sources to record and play sounds.  The record would be through
the DSP and the playback would be through the internal hardware and more
code for the DSP port.

NeXT seems to be very protective of these sources.  I really don't want to
re-invent the wheel.  I need the source because I plan to modify it and
write some useful software. (PD of course. )  Part of the modifications
are for my MSEE project the other is something that I think can be done if
you write your own code.

Also NeXT doesn't tell you how you can write code to take advantage of the
D/A converters or CODEC directly.  I want to know how to take advantage of
the D/A and CODEC without using their calls/macros, and there are NO DAMN
examples.

The one main use I see is a macro to monitor what you are recording.  The
DSP is fast enough to send data to the harddisk and the D/A in the time
between samples.  Is there some problem that I don't know about?

Also I'd like to know the hooks into MonsterScope.  It gets data but once
it displays the data it gets thrown away.  Why can't that data be redirected
and save to the harddisk.

Also trying to learn to write code for this machine is a pain without the
tech documentation.  Everything I want is in the hard copy.  I get the
same stuff everytime.  Not available on-line.

And YES, I do have the extended release of 2.0.

                        KeNT -

BTW - Trying to write low level software for the NeXT DSP and D/A sucks.
I say this because there are no good examples except for array processing
and other stuff that is not what I need.  Give me an example of recording
via the DSP port, the CODEC, and playing sound via the D/A.  Those would
be real useful examples.
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

davisp@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Palmer Davis) (05/08/91)

In article <71yc02TC07Ev01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:

>Also trying to learn to write code for this machine is a pain without the
>tech documentation.  Everything I want is in the hard copy.  I get the
>same stuff everytime.  Not available on-line.

Yes, it is.

The files you are missing are available via anonymous FTP from
sonata.cc.purdue.edu, among other places.  They're written for
1.0, so you need to read the release notes as well, but it's
all out there.

-- PTD --

--
Palmer T. Davis                 |  davisp@scl.cwru.edu  -OR-  ptd2@po.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University | {att,sun,decvax,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!davisp