[comp.sys.next] Fax Modems

cbradley@blackbox.lonestar.org (Chris Bradley) (10/20/90)

Several business people with whom I've spoken have voiced a great deal of
interest in the FAX capabilities of 2.0.  Does anyone know of any fax modems
besides the ones in the Fall Catalog that work?

--
Chris Bradley			| "There are three things which the public will
Businessland Advanced Systems	| always clamour for, sooner or later: namely,

erikkay@athena.mit.edu (Erik Kay) (10/23/90)

My impression was that any group III fax modem would work with 2.0.

Erik Kay
MIT class of '92
NeXT campus consultant

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (10/23/90)

Erik Kay (erikkay@athena.mit.edu) believes:
>My impression was that any group III fax modem would work with 2.0.

What an odd thing to think!  I suppose if something like the Hayes command
set for modems had been standardized for fax modems, this might be possible,
but unfortunately, that's not the case.  (And as someone who has wrestled
with "Hayes-compatible" modems, I know it's not particularily likely for
them either.  This is part of the reason there is a brand preference for
Trailblazer modems on Unix systems with their myriad of special registers.)

It would be nice to be wrong about this, but I suspect I'm not.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/25/90)

We are hopefully very soon done with the support for the DSI modems. They
support V.32 and V.32bis, MNP.5, all the common lower speeds plus
Group3 FAX send and receive. In comparison to all the other offering, this one
also provides a very fast data modem and not just the ususal 2400 baud.
With a list price of around 800$ it is also quite reasonably priced.
- Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

capslock@well.sf.ca.us (Allen Crider) (01/14/91)

Has anyone had experience with either the dove or maxfax modems working
with the NeXT? Any other fax modems out there that work with the NeXT?

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (01/14/91)

In article <22613@well.sf.ca.us> capslock@well.sf.ca.us (Allen Crider) writes:
>Has anyone had experience with either the dove or maxfax modems working
>with the NeXT? Any other fax modems out there that work with the NeXT?

I have an Abaton Interfax 24/96. I have yet to test it, as I am still
awaiting my 040 upgrade and 2.0. However, a friend of mine recently got
his NeXTstation, and in the PrintManager was the Interfax, listed as
one of the available printers! If I ever get around to it, I'll take my
modem down to his house and try it.

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan,MDC Designs, University of Merryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu

dc4f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel Crimmins) (01/14/91)

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes...
>In article <22613@well.sf.ca.us> capslock@well.sf.ca.us (Allen Crider) writes:
>>Has anyone had experience with either the dove or maxfax modems working
>>with the NeXT? Any other fax modems out there that work with the NeXT?
>
>I have an Abaton Interfax 24/96. I have yet to test it, as I am still
>awaiting my 040 upgrade and 2.0. However, a friend of mine recently got
>his NeXTstation, and in the PrintManager was the Interfax, listed as
>one of the available printers! If I ever get around to it, I'll take my
>modem down to his house and try it.
>
>MikeC

i tried this the other day, and couldn't get it to work.  the fax daemon
kept telling me i had chosen the wrong kind of fax modem.  calls to abaton
and next have not helped (abaton claims this is definitely not supported,
and must be handled by next).

anyone else had more luck?
(btw, i'm using a 68030 cube running 2.0)

--dan.

----
Dan Crimmins
meritec!thunder!djc@uunet.uu.net  (next mail)

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (01/14/91)

dc4f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel Crimmins) made the attempt:
>> i tried this the other day, and couldn't get it to work.  the fax daemon
>> kept telling me i had chosen the wrong kind of fax modem.  calls to abaton
>> and next have not helped (abaton claims this is definitely not supported,
>> and must be handled by next).

Another case of getting the wrong people, I guess.  I've been talking with
Everex/Abaton about this for some time now, and this is the story:

The current EverFax 24/96E (under whatever guise you have) will not work
with the NeXT fax support--Abaton has a new version for the NeXT.  The
difference is that the new modem implements the Class II fax command set,
instead of Class I.  Class I puts most of the burden, especially buffering,
on the attached computer.  This is fine for PC's, but not non-dedicated Unix
machines, like the NeXT.  For them, Class II was developed which has the
modem do the time-critical stuff.

All is not lost, however, for the old Abaton modem.  You just have to replace
the ROM and RAM chips, both of which are socketed.  (Replacing the RAM chip
doubles the memory which is needed for buffering.)  They have yet to give me
details on how to get these chips (of course, I could get the RAM myself),
but I have yet to get my 040/2.0 upgrade, so I haven't pushed it yet.

Just by the way, I do not know if the Class II Abaton fax modem comes in
black.  Clearly an important factor in any NeXT purchase. :-)

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

PFKEB@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Kunz) (01/14/91)

   I just got my (beta-test version) of the Dove Fax Modem and driver
software last Friday.   Installation worked perfectly, just double
click on the DoveFax.pkg file they sent me.   This puts their driver
in the standard place so the PrintManager can see it.   The rest of
the installation is like configuring a Printer.   Faxes were sent and