[comp.sys.next] where is the object that handles "Are you sure" comfirmation

leivian@axon.sps.mot.com (Bob Leivian) (05/07/91)

 Would like to include confirmation for some methods by using
the pop up box that asks are you sure you want to do X and doesn't
return till the user clicks yes (or no).  There has to be a class like
this in the OS, but I can't find it.  I am also having trouble writing
one, I subclassed "panel" and put a textfield and a yes and no button
but when i "new" this panel subclass the buttons and text don't appear

-- could someone point me in the right direction,  Bob
--
Bob Leivian				leivian@email.pcrl.sps.mot.com
Neural Network Development Group	(602) 897-5117

oneill@fornax.UUCP (Richard Oneill) (05/08/91)

In article <998@nddsun1.sps.mot.com> leivian@axon.sps.mot.com (Bob Leivian) writes:
> Would like to include confirmation for some methods by using
> the pop up box that asks are you sure you want to do X and doesn't
> return till the user clicks yes (or no).  There has to be a class like
> this in the OS, but I can't find it.

IMHO, you really don't want to do this if you can avoid it. Questions like
"Are you sure you don't want to avoid quitting and exit without not saving
your file ?", with buttons labeled [Yes] [No] [Cancel] are often confusing,
and waste a users time by forcing them to check carefully whether they
should be clicking [Yes] or [No].

It is *far better* to have boxes like, 'Ran out of wigets to twiddle...' with
buttons [Make More] [Stop Run] to click.

I would think that it isn't going to be too hard to dynamically create
dialog boxes like these if there are too many to use IB. Unfortunately, I'll
have to leave it to someone who knows how to tell you more...

I would think that there ought to be something about not having [Yes] [No]
buttons in the user interface guidelines. If there isn't, IMHO there should
be... (Are you listening comp.sys.next !! ;-)

	Richard,
--
Composing a suitably apt and witty .signature is left | oneill@fornax.UUCP
as an exercise for the reader.                        | oneill@cs.sfu.ca

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (05/08/91)

writes:

>  Would like to include confirmation for some methods by using
> the pop up box that asks are you sure you want to do X and doesn't
> return till the user clicks yes (or no).  There has to be a class like
> this in the OS, but I can't find it.  I am also having trouble writing
> one, I subclassed "panel" and put a textfield and a yes and no button
> but when i "new" this panel subclass the buttons and text don't appear

Try NXRunAlertPanel(). This is the standard way to get the dialog box you want.
Run Digital Librarian to find the reference.

	- jiro nakamura
	jiro@shaman.com
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE